Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 PM
zero10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does help quite a lot, thanks! That means you also think it's extension tubes based on the pictures?

Rock Auto lists an aftermarket extension tube assembly by GPD that looks exactly right for the job:

Part #1028021

Given that my options at this time are:
Dealership - $189 for extension tubes, $110 for a receiver/dryer, $210 for 2 hours of shop time, $150 for an A/C recharge for a grand total of $659 + shop supplies + tax + anything else they find (perhaps new O-rings?)
or
Rock Auto + DIY + independent A/C shop - $49.60 for the extension tubes, $8 for a dryer, $29 for shipping and import fees, $150 for an A/C recharge = $236 + tax + incidentals

Given the price difference I think I know which way I have to go. I really appreciate the help on identifying the problem and the solution.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer extension tubes come with orings for the expansion valve end, the foam seal that goes over the suction line (can be reused from your old one), the insulation patch that goes around the expansion valve and has the stud on the end. Not saying it's worth the extra cost but they do come with extras. But yes, the wetness around the floor seal usually means extension tubes. Pretty easy job unless the lower junction won't separate. Corrosion builds up around the stud and can be kind of a bear sometimes. Otherwise 2 10mm nuts underneath, sometimes they come off sometimes the stud turns. Either way is go0d, the stud just turns out of the clip nut and the housing can still be removed and you can get the nut off later. You need a 10mm, a 14mm and a 21mm socket, a Phillips screw driver and an 8mm and 13mm socket for the housing to remove the lines. Need any more info, let me know.

Quick Reply: Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007