Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 AM
gabstero
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007

Hi Gang!

So after being quoted $1,422.00 from the service for an evaporator and expansion valve replacement, me being as cheap as I am, took off the old evaporator, ordered a new one ($65.00), a new expansion Valve ($21.00), gasket kit, and of course the a/c manifold gauge set ($50.00) and vacuum pump ($15.00).

The only thing that didn't ship with the evaporator or the expansion valve is the metal plate (tapping plate) that screws onto the expansion valve an keeps the two evaporator pipes in place (in the expansion valve).

I tried unscrewing the old one to no avail - those screws are stuck.

The question is:

DO you know of a source where that can be found?

thanks a ton!

Gabstero

Last edited by gabstero; 06-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Factory expansion valve comes with the plate. screws, orings, everything needed. Probably why they cost a little more than $21

Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
gabstero
Amateur

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Factory expansion valve comes with the plate. screws, orings, everything needed. Probably why they cost a little more than $21
Thanks for the reply! Do you happen to know a resource?

thanks!
Gabstero.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

Ok, go to your local Mopar dealer and get part number CNTKX210AA. It comes with the rear evaporator with the expansion valve already bolted to it. It comes with a new stud nut, new orings and the foam seal that goes on the bottom of the housing (cut off all 4 fingers first). It lists for $82.33 so return the junk you have and get factory parts.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 PM
gabstero
Amateur

Ok, go to your local Mopar dealer and get part number CNTKX210AA. It comes with the rear evaporator with the expansion valve already bolted to it. It comes with a new stud nut, new orings and the foam seal that goes on the bottom of the housing (cut off all 4 fingers first). It lists for $82.33 so return the junk you have and get factory parts.
Thanks a lot!

So I called my local Mopar dealer which happens to be a Chrysler dealer, and they were not willing to sell it to me direct. They said it was a warranty part (probably talking about the 70k warranty), and asked for my VIN to localize another part number. I didn't have my VIN so I left it at that.

I looked up this part on the main Mopar site but was not found.

Is there a particular place that I could find it?

Thanks!
Gabstero.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

This is the warranty part for the 7/70 warranty. My dealer sells them over the counter, maybe try another dealer. The non-warranty parts are around $300, somebody's making some money

Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM
zero10
Professional

A $15 vacuum pump? It must be a venturi style "pump". That won't draw a deep enough vacuum, you need a real vacuum pump. Some parts stores will loan them for free, check with local parts stores that are known to loan/rent tools.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 PM
gabstero
Amateur

This is the warranty part for the 7/70 warranty. My dealer sells them over the counter, maybe try another dealer. The non-warranty parts are around $300, somebody's making some money
Victory!

I wanted to thank Tizzy1 and this forum in general for their generous sharing of information. I was able to localize the part at another Dodge dealer 20 min of driving. Got the evaporator already assembled with the expansion valve in place.

Is Mopar something we little people can access for price checking on certain items? Their part # search didn't bring up anything on the part number mentioned earlier. Just something I wish I would know next time I am looking for a part. Is there any special hand-shake I should know of?

Thanks again!!
Gabstero

Attached Thumbnails Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007-evaporator.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

Nope, you just got lucky and ran into me. It's all in who you know

Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 AM
gabstero
Amateur

Nope, you just got lucky and ran into me. It's all in who you know
I sure got lucky. My hat goes off to you! Many thanks again!

g

Quick Reply: Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007