Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Door lock cylinder failure? Key wont lock/unlock door

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:11 AM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock cylinder failure? Key wont lock/unlock door

Greetings,

On my 99 caravan I cannot use the key to unlock the driver side door. However, the aftermarket unit that was installed by the previous owner is able to lock/unlock using the key fob. I suspect any kind of rod connection behind the door panel must then still be functional and the issue is with the lock cylinder itself. Can anyone confirm this? Is it possible to get a new cylinder that will function with my current keyset?

Thanks very much.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:17 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the lock cylinder rotate? If not, you'll probably need a new cylinder. Easy to remove once the door panel is off. Just a spring clip and it's out. Any good locksmith can rekey a new cylinder to fit your key.

If it does rotate but won't unlock the latch, I'd suspect a broken linkage connector. They're just plastic. You can buy new ones at any auto parts store. Dorman makes them.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by RickMN
Does the lock cylinder rotate? If not, you'll probably need a new cylinder. Easy to remove once the door panel is off. Just a spring clip and it's out. Any good locksmith can rekey a new cylinder to fit your key.

If it does rotate but won't unlock the latch, I'd suspect a broken linkage connector. They're just plastic. You can buy new ones at any auto parts store. Dorman makes them.
Thanks Rick, I appreciate the insight. It does in fact rotate. You think linkage even though the electronic lock/unlock is able to.... well, lock and unlock, lol. I assume it's some kind of actuator that operates the electronic lock/unlock. Perhaps it has a separate linkage.

Cheers

Old 06-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Montreal300
Professional

RickMN is right on the money. Pooched linkage which is very easy to fix once you have the panel off.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:45 PM
issakar
Captain

Door panel come off fairly easily? I haven't taken a panel off on this vehicle before, but I have on another.

Cheers

Old 06-15-2013, 05:37 PM
RickMN
Veteran

I think what's confusing you is that there's linkage from the actuator to the latch, and a SEPARATE piece of linkage from the lock cylinder to the latch. So the actuator could work just fine to lock/unlock door. But if the lock cylinder linkage is Fubar, the key won't work the latch.

Alldatadiy.com has the best diagrams for removing a door panel. Always start by removing screws in the arm rest. Remove armrest and you can sometimes figure it out on your own after that.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by RickMN
I think what's confusing you is that there's linkage from the actuator to the latch, and a SEPARATE piece of linkage from the lock cylinder to the latch. So the actuator could work just fine to lock/unlock door. But if the lock cylinder linkage is Fubar, the key won't work the latch.

Alldatadiy.com has the best diagrams for removing a door panel. Always start by removing screws in the arm rest. Remove armrest and you can sometimes figure it out on your own after that.
Makes sense to me Rick, Thanks a lot. I kinda figured 2 linkages must exist, that's the only logical explanation. I'm sure once I take the door panel off it will be much clearer.

I probably won't get to this for a while, have other projects to take on (gas tank straps, ball joint, multifunction switch) but I'll be sure to update when I get around to doing it.

Cheers

Old 06-15-2013, 07:20 PM
issakar
Captain

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...+cylinder+clip

Something like that? That looks to be a collection of clips.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM
RickMN
Veteran

Yes, that's what linkage clips look like.

Quick Reply: Door lock cylinder failure? Key wont lock/unlock door