Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Break help 2001 Grand Caravan Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 04:08 PM
moldmaker70
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feels like its coming from the drivers side front only. I started out changing the pads, then came the shaking....they wore down to nothing on drivers side within 2 months. So at that point I changed the rotor and pads on the drivers side. Still shakes....figured it was the caliper...changed it.....no dice. Now in the shop with this news.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:32 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by moldmaker70
Feels like its coming from the drivers side front only. I started out changing the pads, then came the shaking....they wore down to nothing on drivers side within 2 months. So at that point I changed the rotor and pads on the drivers side. Still shakes....figured it was the caliper...changed it.....no dice. Now in the shop with this news.
You're sure it's not just an issue w/ the slides on the driver side? If he hasn't tried it, suggest disabling the abs system for test drive? I've seen scan tools that can test each ABS channel separately too to find if a single one has a fault.

Sorta rambling now, sorry

Old 07-04-2013, 04:42 PM
issakar
Captain

Here is a description of how the ABS system works:

When brakes are applied with normal to moderate pressure, brake fluid is routed from master cylinder through hydraulic control unit unrestricted to wheels. During heavy braking conditions, brake fluid pressure is modulated thru HCU to individual wheels by using separate hydraulic channels for each wheel.

During an ABS stop, hydraulic pressure is controlled to all 4 wheel circuits. ABS can build r release pressure at each wheel, depending on signal generated by Wheel Speed Sensor. ABS is operational with vehicle speeds of 3-5 MPH or more.

Amber ABS warning light is controlled by CAB and/or Body Control Module (BCM). Controller Anti-Lock Brake (CAB), along with HCU, are combined in one Integrated Control unit located below master cylinder reservoir. Hydraulic pump is an integral pat of HCU. CAB controls ABS warning light by grounding circuit. BCM grounds ABS warning light when it determines that CAB cannot control light. If CAB connector is disconnected, a shorting ar in connector will illuminate ABS warning light.

When ignition is turned on(system initialization), ABS warning light is on until CAB completes its self tests. At 5-10 MPH, a dynamic check is performed. At a speed of 15 MPH, ABS will attempt to operate pump motor. If brake pedal is being depressed, pump motor test will be run at 24 MPH regardless of brake pedal position. If any component exhibits a trouble condition during system initialization or dynamic check, CAB will illuminate ABS waning light.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 PM
moldmaker70
Amateur

Not sure what a slide is.....I will suggest it when I see him in the morning. Not sure if he has the equipment to do that or not seeing how he said that there were no codes. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. It still doesn't sit well with me.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 PM
issakar
Captain

Not sure what a slide is.....I will suggest it when I see him in the morning. Not sure if he has the equipment to do that or not seeing how he said that there were no codes. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. It still doesn't sit well with me.
When you changed the caliper, pads, etc, there were 2 bolts that hold the caliper in. These bolts are designed to let the caliper "float" or slide and are typically referred to as caliper slide bolts or slide pins. It's a best practice to lubricate them to ensure the caliper floats properly. I have abnormal wear patterns on my passenger front brake pads because the caliper was not sliding properly. My inboard pad has worn more than my outboard (i think, cant remember now, I looked at em a couple weeks ago while doing balljoint/tie rod.)

Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 PM
issakar
Captain

http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_teves_mk20.htm

This link explains in better detail how the teves mark 20 abs system functions. It does appear the pump generates additional hydraulic pressure for the front brakes, however I wonder how much extra pressure it really generates.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:03 PM
moldmaker70
Amateur

No I did not replace them however I do have them from when I bought the caliper.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:40 PM
issakar
Captain

No I did not replace them however I do have them from when I bought the caliper.
related to uneven wear as well

http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/.../t-269211.html

The only reason I bring up the slide pins and checking/lubricating them is because this is something that is a pretty easy/cheap/free task for you to try. I certainly wouldn't rule out something being afoot w/ the ABS system, since you're getting an ABS light. However, I'm personally skeptical of the pad wear being caused by ABS fault.

That being said, I'm not there looking at the van, just a keyboard commando :-/, lol

Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 PM
moldmaker70
Amateur

I am going to question him hard tomorrow before I commit to buying a new pump which I was able to find used. Now rather to let him put it on or not is what I'm considering now if it comes down to that.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:39 PM
issakar
Captain

I am going to question him hard tomorrow before I commit to buying a new pump which I was able to find used. Now rather to let him put it on or not is what I'm considering now if it comes down to that.
Is vehicle un-drivable as is?

Quick Reply: Break help 2001 Grand Caravan Sport