Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

transmission stuck in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 PM
cable_guy_212
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transmission stuck in limp mode

I have 2001 caravan sport 3.3 liter engine i changed the alternator and battery. That's when i started hearing problems. First i assume it reset the computer because the signals and all thatdiddent work figured that out. So i jacked it up got both fronts wheels of the ground and drove it with the wheels of the ground. To click off some miles before inspection. Cause in bc before you can ga tag you have to get a three day inspection pass. So i was trying make sure i diddent have to many not ready and fail the emissions. Put twenty miles on it worked just fine. Went got more gas drove around the neighbor hood bout ten more miles fine. Hit the rd for inspection 50 yards check engine lite no shift. Took it to the parts store they scan it i get p0700 and p1767 i Google relay stuck open i fix go back to day and they give me codes p0700 p1767 andp1768 which tells me relay always on and relay always of. I have reset the computer since changing the relay now the new code with the old codes. I don't know what else ti do i dint have the money to put in the shop. Could it be the shift solenoid or tcm or the new relay bad. I can't get out of limp mode even after resetting the computer i start it and in back where i started without even putting it in gear. Dodge caravan sport 3.3 l overdrive transmission 4 speed 135500 milesthank you

Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have a scanner, What is the battery switch voltage? If it reads zero, then the transmission is in limp-in. You can try replacing the solenoid pack and see what happens.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:06 PM
cable_guy_212
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the solenoid and still no luck i did test the oldone it was bad. I don't have a scanner i have to go to the parts store. But before when i would clear the codes as soon as i started it cel was right back on now it holds out till 40 mph then back on i did test the voltage at the solenoid and its 5 v v volts

Last edited by cable_guy_212; 07-13-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd lay odds on the TCM. When you changed the battery and alternator you may have spiked it with a voltage surge. If anything will be effected by that it would be the microprocessor circuits in the TCM. They are sensitive to any erratic voltages placed on them. Here's a similar scenario and it's on an 2001 to boot. Shows you a few things to test:http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/2rj5...not-shift.html

Quick Reply: transmission stuck in limp mode