Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Sirius equipment question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:08 PM
earlyre
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius equipment question

My dad is looking to get a newer (2010+) Caravan, or Town & Country, to replace his '05 ford freestyle. He Wants to have Sirius as he & mom are gonna be cruisin round the USA visiting relatives since they retired
(planned sept. trip from Lima, OH->Dallas, TX->Wiley, CO->Twin Falls, ID->Appleton, WI->Lima, OH.) sorry for the digression.

anyway, the ones @ the local dodge dealer, that are equipped the way he wants it, don't seem to have the Siruis ready radio.

now that that's out of the way, the real question/ is the sirus Tuner built into the head unit itself, or is it a separate module elsewhere in the vehicle?
or- would it be as "simple" as swapping headunits? or do i have a huge parts list to track down? (i know going after market would be a ton simpler install wise, but i'm trying to keep this all as integrated & "senior friendly" as possible.)

Old 07-28-2013, 09:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Most of the minivans come with sirius already build into the radio. All you would need to do is get the serial number for sirius and have it actived.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 PM
earlyre
Professional

i know that. have done so with my aftermarket radio, and the factory unit in mom's Taurus.
the key word in your reply is "Most" of them come equipped.
what about the ones that aren't?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's not already equipped, get an aftermarket unit. It will probably be nicer and cost less too.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Like TNtech had said, if doesn't come equipped. Then you have two choices, aftermarket or an radio upgrade from the dealer. I have an aftermarket sirius system in my wifes honda thats hooked up to the factory radio. I had Bestbuy install the system. That way if they blew something up I didn't get blame for the mistake.

Last edited by master tech; 07-28-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 PM
earlyre
Professional

you guys still aren't telling me anything i don't know.

-little bit of history on me & Sirius
I had a plug n play Sirius unit in my old car
when I bought my neon (Feb '10), i got a kit (consisting of an older model Kenwood Sirius tuner, and an adapter so it could be used via the RBK's changer controls) .
later replaced the RBK unit w/ an Kenwood unit compatible with the Sirius tuner i had previously installed.....
(all installs done by me)

the real crux of the question, after pulling all the background bs away:
is the satellite tuner built into/a part of the head unit? or a separate Module located elsewhere in the van?
the ONLY reason i'm considering, the factory unit swap, over after market, would be to keep it senior friendly for my not tech savvy 67yr old dad, whose van it would be. as complicated as the modern factory systems can be, at least they mostly still have ***** and buttons, which seem to be increasingly lacking in the aftermarket.
something like this is more his speed honestly:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068ZUMA...y.html?tp=5684

Last edited by earlyre; 07-30-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 PM
fielldboss

For whatever its worth.. I just bought a 13 GC SXT that just has the AM\FM CD...there is no sirrus tuner. Went to BB unless you buy a specfic Sirrus Radio, u have to buy radio plus sat. tuner along with wiring harness and other stuff. With labor, you r looking at close to $300. The radio should have blue tooth as well.
Other option is that you could just purchase a sirus sat. tuner with external atenna(?) and have BB hard wire in to the vehicle...cost I was told about $150.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thank you for the information.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:49 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fielldboss
For whatever its worth.. I just bought a 13 GC SXT that just has the AM\FM CD...there is no sirrus tuner. Went to BB unless you buy a specfic Sirrus Radio, u have to buy radio plus sat. tuner along with wiring harness and other stuff. With labor, you r looking at close to $300. The radio should have blue tooth as well.
Other option is that you could just purchase a sirus sat. tuner with external atenna(?) and have BB hard wire in to the vehicle...cost I was told about $150.
Post a pic of what you got.

Quick Reply: Sirius equipment question