Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2014 Grand Caravan runs down new Scion FRS

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 AM
kallsop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabian4
... don't really have time for track time and to prove what?

That's the attitude that can get someone into trouble, if they have to prove something. I have been to racing schools (NASCAR, spec Lamborghini) and for me it was all about the thrill of pushing the car to its limits, not about proving anything. I also used to do online sim racing (Grand Prix Legends) where I was trying to compete and prove something LOL.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kallsop
That's the attitude that can get someone into trouble, if they have to prove something. I have been to racing schools (NASCAR, spec Lamborghini) and for me it was all about the thrill of pushing the car to its limits, not about proving anything. I also used to do online sim racing (Grand Prix Legends) where I was trying to compete and prove something LOL.
You need to re-read his post because you're misinterpreting it due to the soundbyte quote out of context. The thrill of racing schools and HPDE comes from: 1) proving to yourself how fast you can go without losing control or wrecking and 2) proving to yourself that you can drive faster, smoother and safer with practice and instruction. Both have nothing to do with proving anything to somebody else so they can occur in a solo setting. That's often why it's billed as non-competitive, but insurance companies know better lol. Too many stopwatches around to claim it's not a competition about speed.

His point was he no longer needs to race or attend track events because he no longer has anything to prove to himself or anyone else. I can understand that. For many mature adults, auto racing and track time is a been there done that thing. After 30+ years in the sport, I have 50K road track miles under my belt. I know full well that interests & hobbies change plus there are many ways to get a thrill...most are far cheaper. Priorities often change and send us to minivan forums lol. Many are not in a position to flush $500 each track event for travel, hotels, food, gas and parts plus take vacation days. Instructors don't get a free ride despite entry fee waiver. Family vacation and kid tuition often takes priority.

The fellow who stated that obviously does not street race. Mature parties in this thread all agree that folks need to obey the law and visit a track if they wish to compete.

Last edited by Lscman; 11-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM
kallsop
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lscman
You need to re-read his post because you're misinterpreting it due to the soundbyte quote out of context.
Everybody is different. I didn't go to racing school to race or prove anything to myself or anyone else, but to enjoy the experience of driving supercars. I went at my own pace, had a smile on my face the whole time, and couldn't care less what anybody else did. An empty track would have been fine by me. Though, I did get very competitive with the online racing, because you know up front, that is racing and not a joy ride.

A local kid, 19 years old, recently died in a road car crash. He already had 3 speeding tickets and other violations. Never wore a seatbelt, even though it is state law. Went too fast into a corner on an interstate (I-84), hit the guardrail, ejected from vehicle. The young 'uns maybe see the danger, but don't expect any consequences.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Fabian4
Amateur
Talking

Originally Posted by master tech
When your kids do get older, make sure you hide or lock up your keys. lol
Oh yeah, that's for sure! I remember how I was in my teens and how crazy I use to be! I would tell my kids if you want a car get a job stay in school and prove to me you are responsible then I might even consign for ya! Lol

Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Fabian4
Amateur

Originally Posted by kallsop
Everybody is different. I didn't go to racing school to race or prove anything to myself or anyone else, but to enjoy the experience of driving supercars. I went at my own pace, had a smile on my face the whole time, and couldn't care less what anybody else did. An empty track would have been fine by me. Though, I did get very competitive with the online racing, because you know up front, that is racing and not a joy ride.

A local kid, 19 years old, recently died in a road car crash. He already had 3 speeding tickets and other violations. Never wore a seatbelt, even though it is state law. Went too fast into a corner on an interstate (I-84), hit the guardrail, ejected from vehicle. The young 'uns maybe see the danger, but don't expect any consequences.
Geez when you see things like young kids getting killed for driving inexperienced it's just sad! Drag racing in a straight line in one thing but once you start driving on a public road like its a circuit track or Grand Prix, that's insane! What really gets me and scares me that any 18yr old that can get a loan for $13-$14k for a new Suzuki GSX1300 Hayabusa that goes 0-60 under 3 sec and 200mph easy is legal! That's insane but it's possible!

Quick Reply: 2014 Grand Caravan runs down new Scion FRS