Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[1st Gen : 84-90]: TC stays locked up, kills engine when put in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:27 PM
gopickett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC stays locked up, kills engine when put in gear.

Hey all, glad I could find this forum.

1989 Dodge Caravan 3.0 4 speed A604 transmission question. I recently got the van and it would start and drive right away the first couple times I used it. I did notice it to not engage when trying to leaving a stop. The engine would rev but no movement. A quick blip of the throttle would engage it and it would go.

The problem I'm having is the torque converter seems to be locked up full time. When I start the car and try to put it in any gear beside N or P the engine dies and the car lurches backwards or forwards like when you try to start a stick shift in gear. The first couple times this happened it would go away as the system heated up but now I can't get the van to move. Also it would die coming to a stop until it got fully up to correct temp.

Fluid is at correct level. It is blackish/brownish but not burnt smelling or overly dirty. A universal Mercon/Dextron III (Akron ATFIII in Mexico) was likely used. The last time it drove it shifted fine for the most part but a whine from the transmission area began and would increase with engine speed. Van parked fine except for whine but now will not move despite engine/trans getting to correct temp.

Anyone else figure out what's going on here?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

The fluid you should be using is ATF+4. I would say your transmission is done. I would recommend a reman or repair the one that's in the van.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:51 AM
gopickett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please click this link for more info. Master Tech graciously elaborates on the problem and I have added videos of the problem. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...locked-up.html

Quick Reply: [1st Gen : 84-90]: TC stays locked up, kills engine when put in gear.