Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

95 caravan problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 04:14 PM
mightym63
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 caravan problems

i have a 95 caravan dont know mileage off hand but it starts fine and idles great but when driving it down the road it bucks and tries stalling and actually has stalled a couple of times. i have replaced the map sensor, o2 sensor. throttle position sensor, and all fuel injectors, and cleaned throttle body but still have the same problem. usually does this after it gets warmed up. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. this van has the 3.0 litre engine

Old 10-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: 95 caravan problems

What is the condition of the plug wires, cap and rotor? Have you scanned the computer for error codes? Coil and coil wire?
Could be a problem with crankshaft postion sensor or camshaft position sensor...not sure if you have one or both.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:07 PM
mightym63

i have replaced cap rotor and wires, computer is showing no codes, was told it could be the egr valve or catalytic converter would that cause this problem?

Old 10-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Chump
Captain

ORIGINAL: mightym63

i have replaced cap rotor and wires, computer is showing no codes, was told it could be the egr valve or catalytic converter would that cause this problem?

Possible that they may cause a problem. Disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR valve and take it for a drive and see what happens. You can also disconnect the cat and take it for a test drive and see how it performs.
Could also be a bad Coolant Temp Sensor..this tells the computer the coolant temp so it can adjust air/fuel mixture.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:30 PM
luvabordeaux

it's neither one of the things that you did you have to replace the mass air flow computer!!
It's next to the battery you can't miss it,it's big and black between the battery and the fender you will need a 8mm socket for the bolts.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:50 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Boy, thats a leap.... I'd look at crank and cam sensors and egr before jumping to change the ECM...

Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 PM
lowdownkilla
Default Mass air flow? Or what?

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I have a 1992 3.0 liter caravan that is doing the same thing. It idle's fine and if you get on the gas it is fine. But when you barley give it gas, it wants to stall out and bucks. I have replaced the fuel filter, ran all kinds of stuff through the gas to clean it out, cap rotor, plugs, wires. I do not know where to turn to next. Any suggestions? If you have any sensor suggestions, please give me good details or pictures of where I can find them, as all I have done is about my max, before messing with computer stuff.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Goofy173
Rookie

Mine 91 3.0 was doing the same, and it did throw a code, which was MAP sensor, and it did fix the problem. It was bucking bad trying to hold any speed. However it idled and accelerated fine. When it was bucking, as I would slow to turn, it would die.

I changed plugs, wires, rotor, cap and coil before MAP, and the Map did it.

Have you check for codes? I figure the 92 is the same and to do it turn the key on, off, on, off, on without starting the engine. When the Check Engine lite goes out start counting the flashes. It will always start with 1 2 and end with 5 5. If there are codes between, that's the ones you want. Mine was 14 and I think 15 is also MAP. Even if you've not had a CEL come on, you should check anyway.

The MAP sensor is located on it's own bracket above the alternator. Easy to change but not real cheap. I paid $36 at Autozone for a Duralast. Other places wanted up to double that.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...dName=Duralast

Quick Reply: 95 caravan problems