Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Voyager trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Illwork
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voyager trans leak

Hey guys. I'm new here. I have a voyager that has a bad leak in the trans. A first it looks like a front seal leak. But it doesn't leak when the car is running. It doesn't leak when the car is in any gear and you hold the brake so the axle isn't turning. If you let off the brake and the wheels (and axles) are turning then fluid starts pouring out from behind the flywheel like it's a front seal. I have the car off the ground so I can crawl under it and see that is not coming from the axle seal. Like I say, you can put it in drive and rev it up and hold the brake and it doesn't leak till you let off the break and the axle starts turning. This doesn't seem like a front seal leak. The thing had the crank sensor brake off and I wonder if this could have broke a hole in the trans. Any ideas? It's not my van so I don't know for sure what exactly happened.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:24 AM
Illwork

no one has any ideas besides Tizzy1? I think It's a hole in the bell housing.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By any chance is fluid pooled on top of the final drive and is the back hatch coated with tiny drops of fluid? That's the only experience I've had with a tranny leak on these wonder wagons. Turns out the front pump seal was bad and fluid was leaking past the crank sensor and on top of the tranny.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:16 PM
Illwork

Yes there's fluid on top and the crank sensor was replaced. Is the front pump seal the same as the seal around the torque convertor. and did yours only leak when the axle was turning, but other wise not even a drop. i am going to take this apart in the next couple of days and will post what I find.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Illwork

Got the trans out and yes there was a large hole in the bell housing into the diff. so the seal was good.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Illwork
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If you have a hole in the bell housing, Then the pin from the final drive gear may have punch a hole in the case. which means you need to either replace the case and switch all the internal parts into the new case or replace the transmission.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Illwork

Mastertech, There is another option that the owner has chosen. Sell the van for parts.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

That is the owner choice. I'm just giving the information on how to repair the transmission. Anytime and this goes for all members, If you don't get an answer to your question after two days. Send me a PM so I can help. Because I'm all over the forum.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Voyager trans leak