Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 02 Dodge Grand Caravan ABS and Brake light ON.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:30 PM
markellie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Dodge Grand Caravan ABS and Brake light ON.

Hi All,

After much reading through the forums i checked my fuse's, connectors for corrosion and ensured i had power at the abs controller socket on pin 9,10,24 and ground on pin 1 and 16. Obviously when i disconnect the unit the lights go away but i would prefer the abs to work.

When i read the code with my basic innova reader for abs it says code 10.
From my understanding and reading the forums its caused by a power failure to the controller but i have verified that.

Needless to say the lights are becoming annoying and i would like to fix this problem but im not sure where to go to now. Is it likely the problem is within the ABS controller or with the unit itself?

Any help would be great, thanks in advance

Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM
markellie
Default Fixed at last

I finally found the issue and figured i would share as i havent seen this fix posted here, i realised i had overlooked the obvious testing.

Still thinking about why its claiming a power failure to the controller i decided to again check the supplies, indeed it was showing 12v on 9,10 and 24 but this time i decided to check the resistance of each wire from the ABS module plug to C4 on the power dist fuse box. PIN 10 an 24 were almost 0 ohms but 9 had a resistance of 5 ohms.
Im not entirely sure how it still shows 12v with a 5 ohm resistance in the circuit but splicing in a new wire from pin 9 on the ABS module plug to pin 8 on C4 fixed the issue.

Now the lights go out and ABS is 100% again!!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Good job!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:09 PM
christheman
Amateur

Originally Posted by markellie
Im not entirely sure how it still shows 12v with a 5 ohm resistance in the circuit but splicing in a new wire from pin 9 on the ABS module plug to pin 8 on C4 fixed the issue.
The multimeter has a much higher electrical impedance than your wire, and most circuits you are likely to measure with it, so it leaves most things undisturbed as it measures them. Therefore it shows the wire to have 12V, as it would without any load. Put a load on that wire, and then the voltage will sag (as you might expect).

Now the lights go out and ABS is 100% again!!
I think I will have a look at that when I get the chance as mine is out now.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I use a load light to test the wires. Instead of a DVOM tester.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 02 Dodge Grand Caravan ABS and Brake light ON.