Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Transmission Filter O Ring Important?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Danny1976
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Filter O Ring Important?

I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan 2.4l and I did an transmission oil change with a kit that came with the filter and a rubber gasket. I after I did the oil change and put everything back 5 screws were stripped. I was able to fix 3 of the holes with a bigger screw, because it was able to go all the way through the other side. I am not sure if I stripped them or if it was at the dealership that did the previous oil change. What I did was remove everything and this time I added a Permatex Ultra Grey Gasket Maker togerther with the rubber gasket. After I was done putting everything back and waited a day for it to cure, I notice I forgot to put the rubber O-Ring on the filter. Do I need to do everything a third time, or will everything be ok if its missing the o-ring? I know the filter has 2 other additional hook that also hold the filter in place. Any advice will be great.

Another question is, can a small crack where the screw goes into the aluminum transmission be fixed? Thank you.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes the O-ring is important because you will sucking air and cause some shifting problems. No the case can not be repaired. You would need to replace the transmission case. When I do a transmission service on these transmission, I blow the old silicone out of the holes with compress air. Just for this reason.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Danny1976
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by master tech
Yes the O-ring is important because you will sucking air and cause some shifting problems. No the case can not be repaired. You would need to replace the transmission case. When I do a transmission service on these transmission, I blow the old silicone out of the holes with compress air. Just for this reason.
Thanks for the very helpful answer and I really appreciated. God Bless you.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Transmission Filter O Ring Important?