Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: ABS light on with new rear hub

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:21 PM
ekring67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light on with new rear hub

About a week ago, I installed a new O'reillys rear hub (precision...part 512169) on my 2005 GC SXT and the ABS light was on right away. I checked to make sure it was plugged in right, made sure the port was free of debris, reinstalled the wire and the light is still on. Today I swapped the hub with another one from O'Reillys thinking I had a bad hub.....unfortunately the light is still on. I drove it for about 5 minutes hoping it would go out.

After I installed the first one, I did go back to O'reillys to have the ABS code read. The guy there told me he was getting a message something like "ABS communications was not available on this vehicle". That seemed strange to me, but I thought I'd drive it for a few days while I pondered what to do. The light was not on prior to replacing the hub the first time so I figure it has to be a bad hub...

Any ideas?

Last edited by ekring67; 05-13-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the hub came with the ABS sensor?

there is a good possibility that you broke the sensor while you are installed the hub. Because often time these sensors stays in the hub for several years, it get corroded in, when you tries to remove it, they break.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:22 PM
ekring67

Yes, the hub has the sensor on the backside of it. It does not appear to be broken nor did it appear to be stubborn removing the wire from the sensor in the first place. I removed the snap ring and pulled the wire out easily.

I have removed and reinstalled the wire several times to verify proper insertion and orientation of the hub. Also, if I broke the sensor then it wouldn't make sense that the second hub wouldn't work either. All appears good. I'm still stumped.

Last edited by ekring67; 05-13-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

If the sensor broke, the 2nd hub would not work either, because the sensor is dead.

I just looked up on Orielly part website, it appears that the sensor does not come with the hub.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:29 PM
ekring67

Well ya, that makes sense....ok so I bought a new sensor today. Any idea on the difficulty of installing it? I quickly looked at the routing of the wire, it seems to go toward the middle of the underbody but not sure from there where.

And the new sensor has alot of greasy stuff on the sensor end. Do I clean all that off before inserting it in the hub?

Last edited by ekring67; 05-14-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:25 AM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ekring67
Well ya, that makes sense....ok so I bought a new sensor today. Any idea on the difficulty of installing it? I quickly looked at the routing of the wire, it seems to go toward the middle of the underbody but not sure from there where.

And the new sensor has alot of greasy stuff on the sensor end. Do I clean all that off before inserting it in the hub?
leave the grease on.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:31 PM
ekring67

I installed the new sensor tonight and the light went off. Wasn't too difficult, just a lot of tedious placement of the wire.

Oddly enough, the old sensor has no physical signs of apparent damage. Must be a very sensitive part that was damaged when removing it from the old hub.

Well I'm glad that the sensor only cost like $30.

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: ABS light on with new rear hub