Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:53 PM
lllaughrey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Removal

I have a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan with 4wheel ABS disc brakes. I would like to replace the rear bearing hub assembly from the vehicle. Complications are encountered when trying to remove the hub assembly from the rear disc caliper assembly. The 4 bolts that hold the hub assembly to the chassis were removed and much effort was taken to remove the assembly from the chassis. During the removal process of the center hub assembly, the caliber mounting bracket and parking brake assembly was also removed. I do not see any method at removing the center hub assembly from the brake assembly housing. It almost appears like the hub assembly, which should be press fit, is welded to the brake housing. Does anybody have suggentions? I can not find a method to support the brake housing assy during the attempted removal of the center hub.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hub assemblies like to weld themselves into the press-fit hole in the spindle. This problem plagues all marques.

I use a 10 ton hand-operated hydraulic ram and wedge tool to break them loose. Such tools are sold thru harbor freight for about $120.

You could alternatively break the hub loose with a sledge hammer if you have good aim or perhaps screw the 4 mounting bolts back in snug then back out each about 2-3 turns max then put the wheel back on and drop the vehicle axle suddenly using a hydraulic jack. The sudden shock from ground contact might knock it loose.

Alternately....a thin, wide chisel or large blade screwdriver wedged between the hub flange and spindle might also work. The spindle flange is really only flush tight against the spindle near the bolt holes...the remainder of the hub mounting flange customarily has at least 1/16" clearance with the spindle assy, allowing you to tap something in with a hammer to pry/bust it loose.

Another method often used is yanking on the wheel studs with a biggie slide hammer....$40 harbor freight tool, again.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 PM
lllaughrey

Lscman, thank you for your response;
the large hammer, slide hammer, and vehicle weight options will not work since both assemblies have already been removed from the chassis. My complication is separating the two assemblies, brake mounting bracket assembly from the center hub bearing assembly. I have tried to locate an area to wedge and/or pry the assemblies apart. but access is limited, I am not aware of a ram "wedge" that may fit within the limited clearance restrictions.

I wanted to determine if there were any tricks of the trade that could help in separating these two assemblies.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 PM
lllaughrey

Is this the best technique to removing the center bearing hub???

Old 05-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe your issue is the second half of the video, have the bearing off, can't get the backing plate and pad slide off. Doing it at home? Video is pretty accurate. I like to heat the plate and mount with a torch before beating them out.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Removal