Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 Ex Error P0305

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:30 PM
wsy1004
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 Ex Error P0305

Check Engine light is on. Went to Advance Auto to verify and it was a misfire on injector 5. So, I thought maybe a changing the spark plugs and wires needed to be done since it was due anyways. Completed and the check engine light is still on. My thought, if I was getting a misfire on fuel injector 5 I should be losing some power when I hit higher speeds. (Right). But not the case. It is responding with a kick. I noticed that the spark plugs and wires did do the job. Anyways, check engine light is still on and its bothering me. Spoke to a friend and he told me to check with the fuel injector connector harness. He mentioned that sometimes the wires can get fried and cause the problem. Ok. So, I had to purchase plenum gasket set and started from there. I removed the plenum and found the wires that connect to the fuel injectors to be somewhat in bad shape. Thought about using electrical tape to tape up the wires but thought Nah, better do it right. Called a local Dodge dealer that sold me the complete wire harness for the fuel injectors for about $200.00 not sure if the price was good or not but had to do it anyways. Installed and noticed that the check engine light had gone away. Not sure if that was normal or not. Grand Caravan is driving great. Spent about $300.00 dollars and used about 4.5 hours of my time. I shall be back in a couple of days to let you guys know if the light comes back on or not.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

The injector wire problem was only on a few years 2002 thru 2005. You should have had a P0205 for the injector. I believe that was a good price for the wire harness. Keep us posted. Good Job!

Old 05-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What matters? You did a great job fixing it. Here's a few details:

As MT eluded to the P0305 code is a catch all for any cause of a misfire meaning spark, fuel, compression. A P0205 narrows it down to just the fuel injector circuit
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0305
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0205

The fuel injector harness melting on early/mid 4th generation is an all too common problem. Here's a thread that tells you everything you would want to know about it including how you could have saved the $200 bucks.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...wn-and-Country

Old 05-24-2014, 11:45 AM
wsy1004
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today is May 24, 2014. The engine light came back on after a day. Here are things that I have done to the engine, change the spark plugs and wire, change the fuel injector on 5, change the fuel injector wiring harness, and changed the coil pack. Cougar41 showed me some great additional information for possible causes. I will take a look at spark plug #5 to make sure it doesn't look bad? It could be a possibility? But not certain. Will look at other suggestions in the link given by Cougar41. Thanks. Will let you all know the details.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 Ex Error P0305