Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: help please-brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 PM
joemel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help please-brake issue

I am replacing all original brake lines & flex hoses on a 95 short wheel base minivan. Everything was going well, until I connected a new (correct) fitting into the brass block which is actually about midway of the left underside of the van. There is two lines (bottom) from the (m/cyl) proportional valve which lead to this block. Then two lines go out of this block to the rear right & left drum brakes. A threaded hole seems to be stripped. The fitting will go in, tighten, but the line is still loose. After I removed this fitting, it appears the threaded hole is stripped. What I can do? It was the correct long fitting. Is there a way to tap this block, or install a different type of adapter? Or could I just bypass this block, and just put adapters on the two incoming lines (to this block) to the two outgoing which supply the right rear & left drums? Is there a purpose to this block or was it installed for original assembly purposes? Can anyone please offer suggestions asap if familiar with this situation. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming no ABS. I also assume the block is mounted by the front side of the left leaf spring. If so, that is the height sensing proportioning valve and it needs to be in there. If you can find a new one, replace it.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 PM
joemel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tizzy, you are correct. This van is non abs, and the block (in question) is mounted in front of the left rear leaf spring. I was able to patiently thread the fitting into the block. It must have grabbed correctly, because it went all the way in this time, and the line seems tight. I have bled the right & left rear drums, and so far no leaks at any connections. I will continue to bleed the front right & left calipers tomorrow, and then the test drive. I don't know if the height sensing proportioning valve can be ordered, if needed. Thanks for your suggestion Tizzy.

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: help please-brake issue