Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: No Go 2005 Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 PM
4BangerDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Go 2005 Tranny

I am having a problem with my 2005 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L transmission. Here is a little history on this vehicle, replaced 3.8L motor last year and now tranny will not work. Not fault codes. No Reverse or Drive! Frustrated!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:24 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

probably needs a rebuild, hard to say exactly what is bad without tearing apart, low fluid, bad pump, and clogged filter all cause it

Old 06-29-2014, 10:51 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Were there any symptoms prior to the failure - slips, bumps, or anything else abnormal? How did it quit - any noise? How does the fluid look and smell? Is it possible for you to drop the pan, in order to see if there's any bad stuff in it? Might help to figure out what failed, and if you're looking at a new tranny.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:25 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Drop the transmission pan and check for debris. If there is no debris, I would guess the low reverse accumulator seal may spit and causing no reverse or drive. Or the planetary gear set has snapped.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are four possible issues. Item #1, #2 and #3 can possibly be fixed by you while #4 is bad news:

#1 - The symptom you describe may be caused by low fluid. If the fluid level is not correct the pump may not work and the transmission may not engage. If the dipstick shows low, add ATF+4 until the level is correct. If fluid was low you need to determine where the leak is an fix it.

#2 - The $80 transmission solenoid pack may have failed. It can be replaced with a few hours of work using a $10 socket set. It is mounted externally on the transmission near the drivers side front corner. Bad solenoid will generally throw trouble codes.

#3 - the transmission filter needs replaced. The filters are flimsy and it could be clogged, defective and/or cracked and sucking air instead of fluid. For $30 you can drop the pan and replace filter. You need to inspect the fluid and pan for debris anyway so it's worth a shot. Bad filter will generally throw codes. If the filter was actually clogged with debris the transmission is probably failing or failed.

#4 - the transmission may be failed and need replaced. This will be apparent if you pull the pan and find lots of metal particulate in it or metallic, silvery fluid. If you find no particulate it will still need taken to a shop for further diagnosis assuming you completed #1 thru #3 already.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:58 PM
4BangerDakota

I will answer all questions that I can here. Symptoms? Just a clunk while driving to work one morning and seemed like the van was in Neutral until I was able to engage Drive again. I was leaving work later that afternoon and was able to drive though the parking lot until I truned Left and tranny went to Neutral. That was it! No fault codes, No Go Tranny! This just after having 3.8L motor replaced a month pyor.

I changed the tranny fluid and tranny filter this past weekend. Noticed the old tranny fluid smelled burnt and discolored. Also noticed an abundance of metallic paste around magnet in tranny pan, but no debris or metal particulates.

Replaced the amount of ATF+4 fluid that came out of tranny. Still didn't help.

I think its time to send this one to the Garage for Repair. Thanks for All your help Guys!

Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Also check the drive axles. If one of them broke, you will loose all gears too and the transmission would roll in park.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 AM
4BangerDakota

Checked Drive axles, nothing broken.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may just be an unfortunate coincidence that the tranny quit a month after the engine was replaced. But it makes me wonder if there's any possibility of a mistake having been made when the engine was reattached to the tranny. If you're taking it to a different shop, be sure to give them a heads-up that the engine was replaced a month ago.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM
4BangerDakota

I thought the same thing! When I questioned the "Garage" about the problem, all he said was "I can only warranty the motor work I preformed." Plus I had a radiator leak after I picked up my van. Neither problem existed before the motor was replaced. Needless to say I didn't want him to TOUCH another part on my Van. I will talk to Tranny Shop about motor replacement and see what they find ( if anything ). Frustrating!

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: No Go 2005 Tranny