Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 05 caravan trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:40 PM
fair67
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 caravan trouble

Hello
I was on a trip with my daughter and to make a long story short the tranny went out and I had to have it replaced, We made it home and I am wondering what else I should replace I have a 2005 grand caravan 3.3 auto with 135000 miles. I was thinking of replacing both cv axles and the sway bar link kit and bushing because they are original to the car. I have checked the lower ball joint and they seem tight I did replace inner and outer tie rod ends 4 years ago and they seem ok. Is there anything else I should look at replacing to try and make the van dependable. Also is there any videos on how to check and replace cv joints ball joints.
Thank you
any help appreciated

Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't advise going down that road. Wait till it shows signs of problems before swapping out perfectly good parts. The replacement parts can fail as easily as the original parts. Maintenance can open a pandora's box of problems.

When they changed the transmission did they change the torque converter and flush the cooler? If not there may be debris in them from the original tranny that's just waiting to ruin your day.

Last edited by Cougar41; 07-01-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 AM
fair67
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cougar41
I wouldn't advise going down that road. Wait till it shows signs of problems before swapping out perfectly good parts. The replacement parts can fail as easily as the original parts. Maintenance can open a pandora's box of problems.

When they changed the transmission did they change the torque converter and flush the cooler? If not there may be debris in them from the original tranny that's just waiting to ruin your day.
Thanks for the reply. Yes they did replace the converter. My sway bar links both the boots on both sides are split open and the van makes annoying clunking sounds when hitting bumps. As for the cv joints the outer boots are showing cracks between the grooves in the boot.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:47 PM
fair67
Rookie

I would say these needed replaced and this is why I am considering replacing the cv shafts.
Name:  DSC01801_zps473ff73a.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  112.1 KB

Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" Wait till it shows signs of problems before swapping out perfectly good parts."

Looks like you're there. Consider split boots instead of replacing the entire axle for cracking cv joint boots. Many have problems with them but I've used half a dozen with great success. Two are eight years old and still looking good.

Keep your battery up to speed. It's amazing how many seemingly complex electrical problems are caused by week batteries. Keep the connections clean and tight and apply grease to keep corrosion out. Use a trickle charger or have the battery load tested especially if it's hitting the 5 year mark.

Last edited by Cougar41; 07-02-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:41 PM
fair67
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cougar41
" Wait till it shows signs of problems before swapping out perfectly good parts."

Looks like you're there. Consider split boots instead of replacing the entire axle for cracking cv joint boots. Many have problems with them but I've used half a dozen with great success. Two are eight years old and still looking good.

Keep your battery up to speed. It's amazing how many seemingly complex electrical problems are caused by week batteries. Keep the connections clean and tight and apply grease to keep corrosion out. Use a trickle charger or have the battery load tested especially if it's hitting the 5 year mark.
Thank you I appreciate it. I really did not realize how bad those parts were till I took a closer look.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

new axles are about $70 each, the boots are about $20 each if there is any sign of moisture inside the joint I'd go ahead with the axle, if not do the boot (make sure it's the split one, not the actual replacement)

Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 AM
fair67
Rookie

I also thank you for the reply. I replaced all the parts pictured but when I turn I feel a vibration of the front end it almost feels like something is trying to lock up the cv joints do not make the clicking sound but they really feel like vibrating. I found a torn boot on the drivers side cv boot but it was definely hard too see. Anyway I can feel a vibration at times even in a straight line but definetly when the wheel is turned. Any thoughts.
Thanks

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 05 caravan trouble