Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Need help identifying coolant leak--head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Larry45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying coolant leak--head gasket?

I have 2006 Dodge Caravan SXT. I have two coolant leaks. I did a pressure test and one is coming from the radiator, which I plan on replacing this week. The other is on the top of the engine, and I need help on finding the source. The pressure test did not show any other leak, though I will run it again after I have installed the new rad. But there is coolant occasionally on the engine block at the front below the intake manifold. It is right in the area below the front valve cover on the passenger side. Seems to be on both sides, but is worse on the passenger side. Is there a little gully under the manifold? I have only seen it there twice so far over a period of several weeks. I suspect intake manifold gasket but it is hard to tell. It is in the area just below where the gasket might leak. Another possibility is external head gasket leak but not sure if the cylinder head comes up that far. There are no leaks from upper hose or from heater hoses at the back. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by Larry45; 08-09-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: new information
Old 08-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Larry45
Default Got radiator changed

Any suggestions for me guys on this coolant leak on the upper block of the engine? Thanks.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:28 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Could be the heater by-pass hose or the head gasket. I have seen the head gaskets leak and the timing cover gaskets too. Did you pressure check the cooling system?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Larry45

Yes, I got the new radiator installed, and did a pressure test, but it was inconclusive. I will check it out again next week, and report back. Thanks.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Need help identifying coolant leak--head gasket?