Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: GC won't crank with key, battery and starter ok; key reader problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 04:13 PM
akb427
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC won't crank with key, battery and starter ok; key reader problem?

I think my 2007 Grand Caravan may be having a problem with the key chip rfid system.

Battery has juice. Vehicle won't turn over.
My roommate had a tow driver over yesterday, and he reportedly got the starter to crank by sending juice straight into it and said "try another key"; we tried the second key when I got home, but no joy.

If the car doesn't like the key, will it refuse to crank? How expensive is replacing the reader and can it be done by a mechanic or locksmith, or is this a dealer thing? Is there something else that could be wrong?

Old 10-06-2014, 12:23 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by akb427
I think my 2007 Grand Caravan may be having a problem with the key chip rfid system.

Battery has juice. Vehicle won't turn over.
My roommate had a tow driver over yesterday, and he reportedly got the starter to crank by sending juice straight into it and said "try another key"; we tried the second key when I got home, but no joy.

If the car doesn't like the key, will it refuse to crank? How expensive is replacing the reader and can it be done by a mechanic or locksmith, or is this a dealer thing? Is there something else that could be wrong?
Yes, the vehicle will not crank if there is a problem with the key. The dealer can make the replacement key and program it; however, they will need the 4 digit pin number. It would have been provided to you at time of purchase (if original owner). This information is also noted in your owner's manual. You can contact your local servicing dealer on the cost of the key and labor to program it. If you do not have the pin, the dealer should be able to look it up.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:27 PM
akb427

Thanks for your reply. My post already made clear that the problem is not the key, since both keys would not go bad at the same time. If the problem is with the security system, then it is with the reader, not the keys.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The SKEEM module could be a problem. Did the engine start 3 times and quit running after 5 to 10 seconds and then would crank over?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:20 PM
akb427

No. The engine does not crank when the key is turned.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:20 AM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by akb427
No. The engine does not crank when the key is turned.
if this system works anything like the VW immobilizer system, the engine would crank and start, run for a few seconds, then shut off and flash the icon on the dash. If yours is not cranking at all, it may not be the immobilizer system.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If the red lamp is flashing on the cluster, then the ignition switch has locked up and the module should be replaced.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: GC won't crank with key, battery and starter ok; key reader problem?