Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Transmission Dismantle

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Cronopio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Dismantle

Hello everyone, after fighting the 2 bolts on the side of the rear engine mount for 2 days finally was able to get them out and take the transmission Off the van, I have a 1999 Grand Caravan with a 3.3 V6 and 41TE, it went BOOM!!! in the highway at about 75 mph then it limped home, about 15 miles away, just wanted to know if there is any tips or tricks I should know before trying to pull all the guts out for the rebuild? any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance and it is Saturday afternoon so

Old 09-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Cronopio

Thanks a million Cougar, already got it all apart and getting ready to re-assemble however the torque specs for the internal parts as the valve body and oil pump are missing, anywhere I can find these torque specs? Thanks in advance

Old 09-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No toque specs yet but found more pics. Some of these are ugly. Hope you're not seeing any of this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1866416

Old 09-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Cronopio

Luckily mine is not that bad, everything is clean but the front planetary gear was done, the 3 gears inside were gone broken in small pieces however luckily all the pieces stay inside the main shell and the rest was clean of broken pieces, basically now I am just waiting for the solenoid pack gasket and a couple of torque specs that the service tech at the dealer is going to get for me tomorrow when I pick up the gasket.
Jumping to another subject, I saw the second link you sent, thanks by the way, but I could find nothing but the drama in that other dodge forum, this forum is much better in that sense!!!

Last edited by Cronopio; 09-22-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:56 AM
Cronopio

Another sleepless night in Tucson and it occurred to me why not search for the torque specs in the net, to my surprise this time I found them a lot faster and easier than my first search a couple of days ago, first link shows the dismantle and rebuild procedures and the second has the torque chart all in the same table making it easier and faster to find:

http://www.uscars.biz/uscars/extras-...Procedures.pdf

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sonnax-dev/...SC-41TE-IN.pdf

Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just following.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Cronopio

Well, finally I had the chance to install the transaxle during this Christmas break and it went very smoothly until I had to put the bolts to hold the torque converter, since a few month had past I forgot I installed the trans with the crankshaft sensor in, needles to say I had to take the trans out all the way as the sensor bent and would not come out easy.
One very IMPORTANT step that they do not tell you is that if you have a mini van it will be easier to take out the extension housing of the passenger side driveaxle to remove and install the transaxle, it is only 4 bolts and a lot less headache, once this cone, has a conicle shape, was removed it was a breeze maybe 10 minutes to completely install the trans compare to the 30 minutes of twisting and turning just to get that area in place.
As soon as the sun comes out the van will have the transaxle checked!!

Old 04-08-2016, 04:03 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well? The sun has been out quite a few times. Did it work?

Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Cronopio

Originally Posted by offgas
Well? The sun has been out quite a few times. Did it work?
Sorry guys, I moved from Tucson to Rocky Point, Mexico and was quite busy there for a couple of month however I have to say that the van is running like brand new and all the work I did on the transmission worked great and our 3 dogs love it even more after using the prius to take them for walks on the beach!!

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Transmission Dismantle