Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Trouble code P0740 torque converter clutch circuit/open

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:27 AM
bs13608
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble code P0740 torque converter clutch circuit/open

Hi my name is German I live in Miami Florida and I drive a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. This question is for any mechanics out there. My check engine goes on and I hook up an OBD II scanner I get P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit/Open. The car has no symptoms. I've clear the code twice and then later reappearing. Is the Torque Converter Clutch Circuit the TCC Solenoid? If so, where is it located? Does it need to be replaced?

Old 11-27-2015, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Torque convert clutch is indeed TCC, solenoid is IN the trans. Not sure exactly where on yours..... Make sure all the electrical connections on the trans are good and tight.

If you still need help, check out the caravan section.

Good Luck, and, Welcome to DF!

Old 11-27-2015, 11:11 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The solenoid is part of the solenoid pack which also part of the valve body assy. I 'll send some test procedures.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 62TE/Diagnosis and Testing

P0740-TCC OUT OF RANGE

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.

Theory of Operation

When in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear, the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) can be locked or partially locked when certain conditions are met. The TCC piston is electronically modulated by increasing the duty cycle of the LR/TCC solenoid until the torque converter slip difference (difference between engine and turbine speed) is within 60 RPM. Then the LR/TCC solenoid is fully energized (FEMCC / 100% duty cycle). Torque converter slip is monitored in FEMCC to ensure adequate clutch capacity. The MIL will illuminate if the trans accumulates five minutes of inadequate TCC capacity (slip) while in FEMCC mode. The transmission will still attempt normal EMCC operation (will not be in Limp-in) even after the MIL is illuminated.

•When Monitored:
The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is in FEMCC or PEMCC, Transmission temperature is hot, Engine temperature is greater than 38° C or 100° F, Transmission Input Speed greater than engine speed, TPS less than 30°, and brake not applied.

•Set Condition:
The TCC is modulated by controlling the duty cycle of the L/R Solenoid until the difference between the Engine RPM and the Transmission Input Speed RPM or duty cycle is within a desired range. The DTC is set after the period of 10 seconds and three occurrences of either: FEMCC - with slip greater than 100 RPM or PEMCC - duty cycle greater than 85%.

Possible Causes

RELATED L/R SOLENOID OR PRESSURE SWITCH DTCS PRESENT

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

1.CHECK IF RELATED DTCS ARE PRESENT

1. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Are DTCs P0750 and/or P0841 also present?

Yes

•(Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Diagnosis and Testing) and perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure.

No

•Go To 2

2.CHECK IF THE DTC IS CURRENT

1. Turn the Ignition ON, Engine not running.

2. With the scan tool, record and erase DTCs.

3. Drive the vehicle until it is fully warmed up to at least 43° C (110° F).

4. Perform the following step three times.

5. Drive the vehicle at 80 Km/h (50 mph) and allow 4th gear to engage for at least 10 seconds. Close the throttle, then tip back in until the throttle angle is between 25 and 29 degrees. Note that if you go over 30 degrees, you must back off of the throttle and retry.

Did the TCC engage during any of the attempts?

Yes

•Go To 3

No

•Perform the Hydraulic Pressure test in accordance with the Service Information and repair the internal transmission components and Torque convertor as necessary.
•Perform the appropriate TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

3.CHECK THE WIRING AND CONNECTORS

1. The conditions necessary to set the DTC are not present at this time.

2. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.

3. Wiggle the wiring and connectors while checking for shorted and open circuits.

4. This DTC can also be set under extreme temperature conditions. This is usually caused by an internal problem. Verify if the problem is only experienced under extreme hot or cold conditions.

5. With the scan tool, check the Event Data to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.

6. Check for Service Information Tune-ups or Service Bulletins for any possible causes that may apply.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

•Repair as necessary.
•Perform the appropriate TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Test Complete.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:19 AM
Momma_bear

I am having the same issue - same year, same code but NO symptoms except for the MIL light. Dealer service department says the torque converter is "burned out and disintegrated" and needs replacing at $3500!! My question is WHY HAVEN'T I HAD ANY ISSUES OR SYMPTOMS?!? Only have 60k miles, feel I'm being ripped off.

Originally Posted by master tech
28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 62TE/Diagnosis and Testing

P0740-TCC OUT OF RANGE

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.

Theory of Operation

When in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear, the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) can be locked or partially locked when certain conditions are met. The TCC piston is electronically modulated by increasing the duty cycle of the LR/TCC solenoid until the torque converter slip difference (difference between engine and turbine speed) is within 60 RPM. Then the LR/TCC solenoid is fully energized (FEMCC / 100% duty cycle). Torque converter slip is monitored in FEMCC to ensure adequate clutch capacity. The MIL will illuminate if the trans accumulates five minutes of inadequate TCC capacity (slip) while in FEMCC mode. The transmission will still attempt normal EMCC operation (will not be in Limp-in) even after the MIL is illuminated.

•When Monitored:
The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is in FEMCC or PEMCC, Transmission temperature is hot, Engine temperature is greater than 38° C or 100° F, Transmission Input Speed greater than engine speed, TPS less than 30°, and brake not applied.

•Set Condition:
The TCC is modulated by controlling the duty cycle of the L/R Solenoid until the difference between the Engine RPM and the Transmission Input Speed RPM or duty cycle is within a desired range. The DTC is set after the period of 10 seconds and three occurrences of either: FEMCC - with slip greater than 100 RPM or PEMCC - duty cycle greater than 85%.

Possible Causes

RELATED L/R SOLENOID OR PRESSURE SWITCH DTCS PRESENT

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

1.CHECK IF RELATED DTCS ARE PRESENT

1. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Are DTCs P0750 and/or P0841 also present?

Yes

•(Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Diagnosis and Testing) and perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure.

No

•Go To 2

2.CHECK IF THE DTC IS CURRENT

1. Turn the Ignition ON, Engine not running.

2. With the scan tool, record and erase DTCs.

3. Drive the vehicle until it is fully warmed up to at least 43° C (110° F).

4. Perform the following step three times.

5. Drive the vehicle at 80 Km/h (50 mph) and allow 4th gear to engage for at least 10 seconds. Close the throttle, then tip back in until the throttle angle is between 25 and 29 degrees. Note that if you go over 30 degrees, you must back off of the throttle and retry.

Did the TCC engage during any of the attempts?

Yes

•Go To 3

No

•Perform the Hydraulic Pressure test in accordance with the Service Information and repair the internal transmission components and Torque convertor as necessary.

3.CHECK THE WIRING AND CONNECTORS

1. The conditions necessary to set the DTC are not present at this time.

2. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.

3. Wiggle the wiring and connectors while checking for shorted and open circuits.

4. This DTC can also be set under extreme temperature conditions. This is usually caused by an internal problem. Verify if the problem is only experienced under extreme hot or cold conditions.

5. With the scan tool, check the Event Data to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.

6. Check for Service Information Tune-ups or Service Bulletins for any possible causes that may apply.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

•Repair as necessary.

No

•Test Complete.
Originally Posted by bs13608
Hi my name is German I live in Miami Florida and I drive a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. This question is for any mechanics out there. My check engine goes on and I hook up an OBD II scanner I get P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit/Open. The car has no symptoms. I've clear the code twice and then later reappearing. Is the Torque Converter Clutch Circuit the TCC Solenoid? If so, where is it located? Does it need to be replaced?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Elvis Santiesteban
Default Help

Hello are you still have the same code?. Because I got the same and I looking for help. Thanks

Quick Reply: Trouble code P0740 torque converter clutch circuit/open