Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 12 V DC Cigarette Lighter not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Gregory Soave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 V DC Cigarette Lighter not working

Hello, I recently purchased a 2012 Dodge Caravan SXT with Super Console inside. There are two 12 Volt DC power supplies in the console, one with the key and the other with the battery. The one with the photo of the key on it work fine, however I can't get the one with a battery image to power my phone charger (tried 2 different ones). I checked the fuses, and they appeared to be fine, and I even switched the 20 AMP fuses with each other to make sure they worked. Is there something else that I am missing? I noticed for the slot it has three different holes for the prongs, but my 20 amp fuse only has two prongs. I was reading that depending on where you put it in, it changes whether it will still work when the car is off.

I just looked inside the socket itself.. I noticed the one working socket appeared to be metal in the back of it, and there was no metal at the back of the non-working socket. Wondering if the socket itself needs to be replaced.

Last edited by Gregory Soave; 08-04-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:47 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I just looked inside the socket itself.. I noticed the one working socket appeared to be metal in the back of it, and there was no metal at the back of the non-working socket"

Do you mean there was no contact in the rear center of the non-working one?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:55 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Put a meter on it and see if it has voltage.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Gregory Soave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was just a piece of plastic stuck in there from the previous owner! It's working now.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 12 V DC Cigarette Lighter not working