Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 Caravan Remote Start Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Zest
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Caravan Remote Start Not Working

Hey, new member here. I recently purchased a used 2011 Grand Caravan. I discovered after my purchase, by reading the owner's manual that my key fobs have a remote start button. However, when I press it all that happens is that the doors lock and the lights flash.

I contacted the previous owners of the van and they said that it once had remote start functionality but it stopped working and they never bothered to fix it. Any idea what may be the issue here? I'm comfortable dismantling the dashboard and messing with wires and all that jazz if necessary, but I've got no prior experience working with remote starters. If it's possible to do this myself I'd very much like to as I already spent a hefty amount doing some repairs needed to get it certified.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:12 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I would start be reading said owners manual to see the conditions that will cause the remote start to not function. Go from there.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Zest

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I would start be reading said owners manual to see the conditions that will cause the remote start to not function. Go from there.
Looking at the manual nothing seems to be wrong. Here's the list of conditions that I see, they all seem pretty common sense:

• Shift lever in PARK (done)
• Doors closed (done)
• Hood closed (done)
• Liftgate closed (done)
• Hazard switch off (done)
• Brake switch inactive (done)
• Ignition key removed from ignition switch (obviously)
Battery at an acceptable charge level (yes)
• RKE PANIC button not pressed (I think I'd know)
• System not disabled from previous remote start event (not really sure what this means but I've turned the car off and on again with the key to cycle the system)
• Vehicle theft alarm not active (I also think I would know)

none of those things seem to be wrong so I dont know.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Another thing is if there is a stored code, it will not let the remote work. Had it scanned for codes?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 PM
Zest

Apologies but I'm ignorant to what "stored codes" is. Guessing it's got something to do with the diagnostic computer stuff? Is that something I can do myself or would I have to see a mechanic?

The other buttons on the remote work fine (unlock, lock, panic) unless by remote you meant specifically remote start. Thanks for trying to help btw!

Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Yes. Stored diagnostic codes. Any auto parts store can read
the codes.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zest
Looking at the manual nothing seems to be wrong. Here's the list of conditions that I see, they all seem pretty common sense:

• Shift lever in PARK (done)
• Doors closed (done)
• Hood closed (done)
• Liftgate closed (done)
• Hazard switch off (done)
• Brake switch inactive (done)
• Ignition key removed from ignition switch (obviously)
Battery at an acceptable charge level (yes)
• RKE PANIC button not pressed (I think I'd know)
• System not disabled from previous remote start event (not really sure what this means but I've turned the car off and on again with the key to cycle the system)
• Vehicle theft alarm not active (I also think I would know)

none of those things seem to be wrong so I dont know.
Did you see this section in the manual?
Remote Starting will also cancel if any of the following occur:
• The engine stalls or engine speed exceeds 2500 rpm
• Any engine warning lights come on
• Fuel lamp turns on
• The hood is opened
• The hazard switch is pressed
• The shift lever is moved out of PARK
• The engine is allowed to run for the entire 15-minute cycle

Old 02-20-2018, 09:55 PM
Zest

Originally Posted by georgef
Did you see this section in the manual?
I may be wrong but it sounds like that section is talking about what could stop the car from running prematurely after it's been started with the remote start. My issue is that it doesnt start in the first place. Or even try to start.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:31 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zest
I may be wrong but it sounds like that section is talking about what could stop the car from running prematurely after it's been started with the remote start. My issue is that it doesnt start in the first place. Or even try to start.
Yes, but The van will not remote start if:

- The Check Engine light is on.
- It is low on fuel.
- The hood is open.
- The Shift lever is not in PARK.

And it is possible that the van is falsely sensing that one of these conditions exists.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Zest

Originally Posted by georgef
Yes, but The van will not remote start if:

- The Check Engine light is on.
- It is low on fuel.
- The hood is open.
- The Shift lever is not in PARK.

And it is possible that the van is falsely sensing that one of these conditions exists.
As far as I can tell none of these things are the issue.
  • The check engine light isn't on and I also took my van to an auto parts store and had them check for the "stored codes" the other commenter in this thread mentioned, there were none.
  • I had already heard that low fuel might be an issue so I had completely filled the tank to troubleshoot it and that didn't solve anything
  • the hood is most definitely not open, and even if it was falsely detecting that it was, wouldn't it show something akin to a "door ajar" message on the dashboard?
  • The van is definitely in park too.
I've recall reading that if the remote start fails to work there's supposed to be an error message that will show where the odometer is. I've never seen such a thing. That leads me to believe that it's not even properly receiving the signal or there's some hardware issue with the remote start unit itself. Does anyone know if there's any wiring diagrams out there on the internet or information on where the remote start unit is? I assume it's somewhere behind the paneling around the ignition switch like a third party remote start would be, but I'm not certain on that and would rather not start taking things apart unless I know what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 Caravan Remote Start Not Working