Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: When slow down, engine shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:26 PM
georgi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When slow down, engine shuts off

This happened several times for a month. The caravan (2001, 4 cyl), is doing it at the parking lots, when making maneuvers back and forth. There is no interruption in the engine or misfiring. The transmission and fuel filter were replaced 3 years ago (30000mi). Now put injector cleaner in the fuel but I doubt it might be the cause. No A/C on at that time. They could be several different reasons. Any experience?
BTW, what is the lifespan of rebuilt transmission for Dodge caravan? I heard ones 50000mi.

Last edited by georgi; 08-31-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:01 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

life of a trans can vary greatly depending on maintenance, use and abuse, towing. I've seen many taxi caravans come into the shop with 300 000kilometers on the original trans. This is incredible as the constant stop starts of intown driving wears the clutch packs.

for your stalling issue...check engine light on; if yes post the codes.
-vacuum leaks can cause this...check the fuel trim. if it uses a idle air control valve...If the valve is bad, its hard to transition from closed throttle to open
-perform a throttle body clean and see what happens

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: When slow down, engine shuts off