Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: TIPM head scratcher

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 11:14 AM
teets.18
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Delete

Last edited by teets.18; 11-08-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Clean up
Old 11-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Dcoffey85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The burned pin is #9? Looks like #9 is the larger pin on the end I may be wrong

Old 11-07-2018, 01:21 PM
teets.18
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I honestly don't know. The numbers and lines look like they are each pointing to a cluster of pins. So, if I look at it a different way, it may be pin 12. See the diagram, and see if you can follow their pin numbering logic.
I'll help you keep looking and post back here when I can.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:57 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

It's pin #28 - the numbers are assigned per row, so if you look at the diagram and start at the right, you'll notice the numbers move bottom to top. So the farthest row is 1 and 2, then back to the bottom on the next row to the left is 3 and 4, then back to the bottom again for the small pins is 5 to 8, and so on.

I can see enough detail in the photos to see that it's next to pin #33 and #21, so the numbering would make pin #28 the one that's scorched.

I'm finding that this pin is a ground for the TIPM. The ground distribution diagram shows pin 14 in the same connector is also a ground.

Verify both grounds are in tact - hook a test light to battery positive and check that it turns on when touching it to both pins. You should also remove the green retaining bracket from the connector (they'll usually come out with a small flat blade screwdriver) and make sure there's not a short inside the connector.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Dcoffey85
Default Thanks to all

You guys are great thank you everyone. I’ll doublecheck the grounds before installing a new part. If the grounds are indeed faulty would that explain the issues I’ve been having?
Gumby where did you find your info? I’ve spent days looking and was about to buy a “shop” manual off eBay with the hope that it would have what I needed

Old 11-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Dcoffey85

Also thank you for explaining how the pins are laid out I see it now!

Old 11-07-2018, 10:24 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

I still have access to service info from when I attended school a few years ago. When I'm working on my own stuff, or sometimes am having difficulty with the service info at work, I use the service info I used at school.

One thing I forgot to mention - make sure to use a fuse on your test light and wiggle test the harness as you're checking the grounds. If the fuse blows, the wire has probably rubbed through and is being shorted to a voltage supply. You'll have to remove the sheathing on the harness to inspect for this problem.

Also, the wiring diagram I'm looking at shows pin 28 and 14 sharing ground G102 at the left rear of the engine compartment. This ground is also shared by the windshield wiper motor. If the wiggle test doesn't reveal anything abnormal, but the fuse continues to blow, try unhooking the connector for the windshield wiper motor. There could be a problem with the wiper motor or related wiring that's causing a surge back to the TIPM - what's called "sneak circuit feedback."

I can't find anything definitive but it looks like G102 is possibly on the transmission or the fender near the TIPM. The diagrams Dodge provides for this kind of thing are not very detailed.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Dcoffey85

Hey guys, finally Got around to checking the grounds in the brown plug, problem now is the pins that should be ground are very weak grounds but there are more pins grounded than there should be does anyone have a pin out?

Old 11-19-2018, 07:24 AM
GumbyRT
Captain

What do you mean by “weak” grounds? And what other pins are grounded?

Old 11-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Dcoffey85

Well when I use my test light the light is dimmer than it should be, seems like the ground is weak, I have to look at it again today to figure out what pins are grounded as well, are there more in that connection that should be ground? I followed the wired to a terminal on the back of the firewall but grounding there produces the same result im starting to wonder if the body ground itself is compromised.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: TIPM head scratcher