Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan - Car locks with sliding doors open

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:32 AM
R.J. Adams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan - Car locks with sliding doors open

We got this car used late last year from a car rental company.

Ever since we got it, the car will lock via the key fob, even if the sliding doors are open. Our 2004 Honda van could tell when the doors were open, and it wouldnt lock/honk until they were shut.

Is this the standard behavior of the car? I can't find anything in the manual regarding this, and am not much of a car guy. Is this something the dealership should fix? Don't want to waste everyone's time if that is the expected behavior (although, it is unfortunate).

Old 07-17-2019, 10:48 AM
R.J. Adams

Any suggestions?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

My 2016 will do the same, it just waits to lock the sliding doors only until they’re closed.

Go to the setup options on the EVIC - you can change some of the settings regarding the locks. I don’t know for sure if that’s one that can be changed (we haven’t changed any of them except shutting off the horn when locking) but you might find it there.

Otherwise you can try contacting Dodge customer service directly via their website before going to a dealer.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:54 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Question here:
What difference does it make?
Honestly, why does it matter if the door locks while it's open or immediately after it's shut, either way it's locked once it's closed.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:10 PM
R.J. Adams

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Question here:
What difference does it make?
Honestly, why does it matter if the door locks while it's open or immediately after it's shut, either way it's locked once it's closed.
The difference is: If we hit the lock button, but the sliding doors are not closed, then the doors will be left open.

Not getting a lock horn honk is good audible feedback for knowing that the doors are not properly shut, so that we know it is something we need to address.

Currently, it honks and locks, even with the sliding doors wide open, which is an issue. It shouldn't lock(and therefore honk) unless everything is closed IMO.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:16 PM
R.J. Adams

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
Go to the setup options on the EVIC - you can change some of the settings regarding the locks. I don’t know for sure if that’s one that can be changed (we haven’t changed any of them except shutting off the horn when locking) but you might find it there.
Didn't even know EVIC was a thing.... Did some Googling, and when the Caravan gets back home, I will play around with the options. Thanks so much!

Old 07-24-2019, 06:58 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R.J. Adams
The difference is: If we hit the lock button, but the sliding doors are not closed, then the doors will be left open.

Not getting a lock horn honk is good audible feedback for knowing that the doors are not properly shut, so that we know it is something we need to address.

Currently, it honks and locks, even with the sliding doors wide open, which is an issue. It shouldn't lock(and therefore honk) unless everything is closed IMO.
Are you still able to close the doors once its locked? Does it stay locked upon closing the doors?

Old 07-24-2019, 01:01 PM
R.J. Adams

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Are you still able to close the doors once its locked? Does it stay locked upon closing the doors?
Probably... not sure. That isn't our concern. It's the car being "locked" while doors are still open. I'd rather the car not lock if doors are open... thats what we're used to with the other car.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:47 PM
KMorley

Only some trim levels have the EVIC - my 2017 GT does. Without the EVIC, you may need to have the dealer change the option on the vehicle. With the EVIC, you can do it yourself.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:13 AM
R.J. Adams

Originally Posted by KMorley
Only some trim levels have the EVIC - my 2017 GT does. Without the EVIC, you may need to have the dealer change the option on the vehicle. With the EVIC, you can do it yourself.
Thanks... mine sadly does not. i will be reaching out to the dealer regarding this.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan - Car locks with sliding doors open