Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Cylinder 2 misfire on 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 10:24 PM
Caravan dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akaempfe1s
I have a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with approx. 80,000 miles. My check engine light recently came on, cylinder 2 misfire. I had code read at auto zone and they suggested a tune-up. My husband and his friends replaced the spark plugs and the coils. Light stays on but eventually goes away. I begin my summer travels and the light comes back on. Same code. I ended up taking it to an independent shop where they tell me I will need a new cylinder head and my VIN is not covered under the warranty for the other models of the van (I believe the 2010-2013 models). Has anyone else had this problem with the 2016 models? Any insight is appreciated. It frustrates me that I may have to pay A LOT of money to fix a car I am still paying on. TIA

Has anyone dealt with this more recently?

My 2015 has only 70,000 kilometres, and has the same misfire in cylinder 2 error. Local mechanic checked the plugs and coils and they’re all good. Pressure test showed 25% less pressure than the other cylinders... so they think it’s likely the head if it comes back. i’m worried about the cost of repairing that if needed, especially when the COVID pandemic has really hit our income.

Does anyone know where you can check if you’re covered by the extended warranty? My 5 years or 100,000kms expired less than a month ago, so really hoping the extended one would apply to me if that’s the case.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:49 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Unfortunately Chrysler Extend Head Warranty on the Pentastar 3.6L engine 10 years/150,000 miles only covers 2011-2013 models years.

Contact your local dealer or Dodge care since it's right at the threshold of the warranty period maybe they might help with some of the cost of repair. There's no harm is asking at this point.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Coz2215

Well, that is disconcerting to hear. But not unexpected.
We have a 2016 TC with 35000 miles. I think we are on our 5th Crysler Minivan.
So for so good. But even though the Mileage is low. We are out of the powertrain warranty.

Now, normally I never buy those dealer extended warranties. This time I did.
The price of the van was such that it still came out to get the warranty. Bumper to bumper everything covered with a $100 deductible.
It was like $2500 ( a lot!!)
I think I whined all the way home.

Within the first week. Took the van in to get a detailed cleaning. The numb skull got in the front seats with his knees in the seats.
Killed both of the seat heaters. $728 at the dealer.
After informing the dealer of the warranty. $528 covered. $100 our cost. Was an easy sell to get the detail shop to give us $100 in free car washes.
Now I only have to deal with the wife smirk. " Told YA!!"
Plus with all of the oil control Cam phaser ect. 5000 mi oil change my butt. Every 3000 mi for me. Want nice clean oil at all times.

But I digress.

What are they finding is the cause for the cylinder head failures? I know on the older 3.6's they were eating rocker arms.
This is new to me.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:51 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

The left head failure was due to bad casting during the pouring of the heads. Apparently Chrysler fixed the problem with new head casting molds.

I think rocker arms issues are more oil related depending on what quality brand is being used in the engine. I've got a 2013 with over 213000 km or 132,000 miles never had any engine issues used nothing but Castrol Edge 5w-20 which has high scores on detergents and anti-wear properties according to oil lab results..

Old 08-14-2020, 07:52 PM
Linda Koop
Default 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan Cylinder 2 misfire

I bought a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with 79,223 miles. Test drove it on the highway drove great. Signed the paperwork and headed home 100 miles from where I bought vehicle. Check engine light came on. Dealer said no biggie and easy fix. Plugged it in Cylinder 2 misfire. Took it in replaced spark plugs and ignition coil, still saying Cylinder 2 misfire. Take it back for a compression test, fails. It is now at Lithia getting fixed under my extended warranty I purchased at the time I purchased the vehicle. So far it got a new cam and 6 lifters. Called today to see if its done. Told now it needs a new head... Pretty much needed a new engine at 79,000 miles... I like it, but its been in the shop 3 weeks...

Old 10-14-2020, 10:34 PM
17grandcaravandriver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dealt with the same thing on my 2015 at 64k miles I believe. $4500 bill luckily covered on powertrain warranty. I traded it in on a new 2019 Honda Odyssey right after the work was done. I've since sold my 2017 Grand Caravan. I bought both vans new but had zero confidence in either one after the engine issue.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:58 AM
ACBrowning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guess what

2016 Dodge Grand Caravan

CEL cylinder 2 misfire - replaced coil ($600)

Then CEL cylinder 2 misfire - replaced fuel injector ($600)

Now CEL cylinder 2 misfire - it's the head which the dealer SHOULD have replaced in the first place under the Powertrain at 57,000 miles but instead they did a quick fix and now at 83,000 miles I am out of warranty - $2,500-4,500 (upper end is about half of what I still owe on this POS)

Never mind the two different window cables that snapped causing the window to fall into the door (also paid for those out of pocket)

And the electric issue with the drivers side power door that we can't afford to fix

I am NEVER buying a Dodge again. It's an outrage that this same exact thing happens to so many people and Dodge does nothing to make it right.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:01 PM
FLTEC
Unhappy Extremely Frustrating!!

I own 5 Grand Caravans (4- 2016, 1-2012), all purchased used, for non-emergency transport. Of the five, two (both 2016), have had this same issue. Both instances have required the replacement of the upper half. How is there no recall for an obvious flaw in engineering? I would like to think that we purchased quality with a few out-liar exceptions, but after reading through numerous posts it seems like some kind of systemic issue with Chysler-Dodge. Any ideas on where to start to get answers from the company? In the current state of economy/pandemic, I don't believe our veteran-owned small business can outlast paying the dealerships to keep our "lemons" on the road. Thanks for all the information posted in these forums, without them who could possibly know how ridiculously common these faults are.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:46 PM
LMHmedchem
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ACBrowning
CEL cylinder 2 misfire - replaced coil ($600)
The individual coils for the 2016 3.6L cost $25 each for the high end Mopar or NGK part. Decent Bosch or Beck/Arnley parts are less than $20 each. It shouldn't take even an hour to replace all 6 (they just stick on top of the spark plugs with a wire connection), so that repair should be $200 to $275 or so depending on where you live. Let alone that you shouldn't need an ignition repair on a 3-4 year old vehicle, how do they justify a $600 bill for a repair that should be less than half that?

I did the coil on my Mother's 2010 in the summer. It was $40 for an NGK coil, $25 for a set of NGK premium plug wires, and $28 for 6 Bosch double iridium spark plugs. That was about $100 shipped for a new ignition setup with top quality parts. It was about 90 minutes of work, mostly because that rear 3 plugs are so hard to get to on a transverse mount engine.

You might want to start doing some of your own maintenance work if the dealer is overcharging you like that.

LMHmedchem

Old 03-14-2021, 07:38 PM
DJuan3000

2013 Grand caravan VIN falls outside of the X56 warranty..build date Jun13

P0302 tech tested coil and wire good, FCA denied claim for left head firmly.

just under 60k miles and MIL started on and off just after 5 years powertrain out, couldnt get part all of 2020

lets all hope this class action goes some where I cant afford to have this fixed

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Cylinder 2 misfire on 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan, anyone else?