Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Cylinder 2 misfire on 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 01:52 PM
dscharoun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2016 Grand Caravan (91,000 miles) with a recently developed ticking noise and hard misfire on cylinder 3. My mechanic suggested I call the dealer as he thought Chrysler had extended the warranty for the cylinder head. I called the dealer and was told there was no extension of the warranty or recall. I am not looking forward to spending $3,000-$4,000 for the repair. I currently have three 2016 Grand Caravans and one 2011 Grand Caravan in my family, but will now switch to another brand as I replace/upgrade the family fleet in the future.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:23 AM
denisesaleh2654
Angry misfire cylinder 2 -- not a cheap or easy fix in sight

I also have a 2016 Dodge Gr Caravan RT and literally within the past month have changed the spark plugs, coil and injector at the cost of $1800. Now I am being told I have a bad cylinder and need to change the cylinder head which I was quoted $5000 from our personal mechanic, a dodge dealer and a friend's mechanic. Unless someone knows of a different fix, I will be forced to get rid of the car because like others, I am still making payments on this car. I have about 6 payments to go and cannot justify paying $5000 on a car that is not worth it to me. This is unfortunate because mine is a RT and looks really nice, just becoming a financial headache.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:00 PM
power4288
Default I have the same issue in the 2017 with only 69k on the engine

I have the same issue with my 2017 caravan with only 69k on the engine.

QUOTE=Akaempfe1s;3446183]I have a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with approx. 80,000 miles. My check engine light recently came on, cylinder 2 misfire. I had code read at auto zone and they suggested a tune-up. My husband and his friends replaced the spark plugs and the coils. Light stays on but eventually goes away. I begin my summer travels and the light comes back on. Same code. I ended up taking it to an independent shop where they tell me I will need a new cylinder head and my VIN is not covered under the warranty for the other models of the van (I believe the 2010-2013 models). Has anyone else had this problem with the 2016 models? Any insight is appreciated. It frustrates me that I may have to pay A LOT of money to fix a car I am still paying on. TIA[/QUOTE]

Old 09-05-2023, 04:34 PM
k9cj5

Originally Posted by power4288
I have the same issue with my 2017 caravan with only 69k on the engine.

QUOTE=Akaempfe1s;3446183]I have a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with approx. 80,000 miles. My check engine light recently came on, cylinder 2 misfire. I had code read at auto zone and they suggested a tune-up. My husband and his friends replaced the spark plugs and the coils. Light stays on but eventually goes away. I begin my summer travels and the light comes back on. Same code. I ended up taking it to an independent shop where they tell me I will need a new cylinder head and my VIN is not covered under the warranty for the other models of the van (I believe the 2010-2013 models). Has anyone else had this problem with the 2016 models? Any insight is appreciated. It frustrates me that I may have to pay A LOT of money to fix a car I am still paying on. TIA
[/QUOTE]

Here is my story and I am not a mechanic so take it for what it is but this is what I've learned so far. I have the same issue with mine. Mine is a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan, 62k miles on it. Check engine light went on, 302 Cylinder two misfire and a 327 something about a thermal. Just like a lot of you I spend about 1k getting's plugs and coils replaced to find out that its a rocker issue. Now why my mechanic didn't tell me this from the start? Who knows. This seems to be a very common problem on this engine. You will know if your engine makes a TIK TIK sound. If it is, its a rocker and you should stop driving it until its fixed. You will make it worse by wearing out the cam shaft, which cost about 2-400 dollars or the head which I dont even want to think about. Im going to replace all the rockers, and valve lifters on mine, on the first bank. Im praying I didnt ruine the camshaft or head but I wont know until I get in it. If this fix works, it will only cost about 200 bucks

Here is a link to the valve lifers, and rockers from rock auto. I have no idea if Wells is a good brand. Im still in the planning phase right now

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ve+lifter,5548

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ocker+arm,5656

Here is an amazing video explaining the fix and tools you will need for this

If its a bad rocker, it will get to the point where it will wear down the cam shaft or worse the head. Its likely a bad rocker from what I'm finding out.

Old 07-22-2024, 02:12 AM
stjuki
Thumbs down cylinder 2 misfire

Originally Posted by Marciolicurgo
I have a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with approx. 110,000 miles. When my car was about 75000 My check engine light came on, cylinder 2 misfire. I had code read at auto zone and they suggested a tune-up. I took to a shop to replaced the spark plugs and the coils. Changed plug, coil and injector and told it is a factory compression fault and I have to pay to have it fixed, few thousand. Loses power on acceleration and almost caused me to be rear ended. My VIN is not covered under the warranty or any recall. Has anyone else had this problem with the 2016 models? I already pay a LOT of money to get this fixed and no lucky so far.
Same Here ( 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan) at 75,000 I got an intermittent CEL with a VSC light too. learn it was for a header leak when it was around 55k~60k?. Then the shaking got bad and finally the cylinder 2 misfire.at 75K. did the whole works sparks and coils after that the EFI on cylinder 2. Finally they said it was a head problem and they said to just get rid of it while it still had value.

I do not know if this was a cause to the issue. Prior to that I had an over heating problem that no one was ever able to fix. The car always seemed to run hot, just below the mid line or just over it.. On the side note the mechanic at the time said while the Radiator fan worked it was working not at a 100%. Had to google around to find that there is a resistor and changed that. I solved the fan issue but now that I think of it it may have caused the cylinder 2 misfire. Hope this information helps.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Cylinder 2 misfire on 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan, anyone else?