Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Cylinder 2 misfire on 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 05:54 PM
MsATowe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the EXACT same issues. The transmission went out (while on a road trip) in Aug 2019. Found out there was a "recall" but not on my vin #. Company was not helpful at all. Had it replaced ($3000) hoping that I would get more life out of it. In the Fall of '20 the #2 cylinder misfire has occurred and I'm finding out that this too is a "common" problem, but also not addressed by the company.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:37 AM
darinddb
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan #2 misfire

[QUOTE=DodgeCares;3467793]Hi Eric, we'd be happy to help! Please follow up with us via PM to provide more details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.
Rob
DodgeCares[/QUOTE

im wondering why no recall yet same issue and I’ve done tons of research everybody is having the same damn thing why is this not been taken care off . I’m. About to start a campaign to make this issue publicly know to millions . It’s rediculous this has not been done .

The following users liked this post:
mt29t (04-17-2022)
Old 08-12-2021, 07:41 PM
2tall2
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear and feel for you. Typical Chrysler B.S. never admitting there's a problem and failing to get to the root cause. Reminds me of the T.I.P.M. issues around 2010 where it was recalled only in the USA but not Canada even though problems were rampant with fuel pump relays and other electrical issues in many years not covered under the USA only recall. Quietly revising parts and making the customer pay until they got it right. That one cost me 2K. Thanks Chrysler. After driving and repairing Chrysler products for 30 yrs. as a dealership tech I'm done. Had enough and seen enough. Have driven 3 generations of minivans and then some my first Dodge was a 1977 Charger. I don't expect any vehicle or brand to be perfect but my next vehicle will be a Toyota. Yah I know slam me all you want for that. That reminds me my 2010 Caravan had Air Bag Recall W09 done. Chrysler pulled the Dodge Emblem out of the cover but never replaced it leaving a hole in my cover and a sorry about your luck. Still waiting for that one coming up on a year now. Guessing they are waiting for as many as possible to hit the scrap yard before they have to shell out to fix it right. That said would never buy a Pentastar 3.6L due to the never ending cylinder head story. They are somewhat better than they were back in 2011-2013 but they still don't have it right and continue to cost people lots of cash by denying the issue of premature failure.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:05 PM
Christine Ellen
Default What the.,,

Originally Posted by DJuan3000
2013 Grand caravan VIN falls outside of the X56 warranty..build date Jun13

P0302 tech tested coil and wire good, FCA denied claim for left head firmly.

just under 60k miles and MIL started on and off just after 5 years powertrain out, couldnt get part all of 2020

lets all hope this class action goes some where I cant afford to have this fixed

Is there actually a class action to join? Same problem with my 2016 Grand Caravan. I’m losing it with all these problems and their “potential” fixes.

Last edited by Christine Ellen; 08-14-2021 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-11-2021, 07:46 PM
Garfield556

Hi Eric, sorry to hear. I have a 2014 Caravan about 160,000 KLMs so about 110,000 miles and recently started a miss in the engine. Got a tune up coils etc. and nothing changed. I'm afraid it's going to be a head issue. Can you tell me how to post on this site as I can't seem to find a link to do that? Much appreciated.
Garfield

Old 03-27-2022, 10:33 PM
deaddebate
Default My problems, experience, and solution with cylinder misfires for a 2016 Grand Caravan

~6 months ago, had an intermittent P219A code (AIR-FUEL RATIO CYLINDER IMBALANCE BANK 1 [Cylinders 1, 3, & 5]) which seemingly self-resolved. Road trip 2 months ago, P0303 and P0304 codes (Cylinder 3 and Cylinder 4 misfire) causing major engine vibration. Limped the vehicle to a Parts Store by going <20 MPH, replaced all sparkplugs (Odometer said 98,000, owner's manual recommends replacement at 100,000 miles). Nearly resolves issue, recurrent engine stuttering and P219A code remains. Stutter is present at both idle and at various speeds.

Online searches indicate possible causes: Manifold leak / Fuel injector clogged / Cam lift failure / Camshaft/Valvetrain problems / Ignition failure. Tried about 8 different fuel additives across several tanks of fuel.; two substantially improved the problem (Berryman B-12 and Gumout).

Local, trusted mechanic performed a vacuum test and smoke test checking for leaks/cracks, didn't find anything. Mechanic recommends a major disassembly to inspect cylinder heads (and a major bill to go with it, thanks but no thanks). Ordered a set of manifold gaskets from Rock Auto ( FEL-PRO MS97204 / https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6325584 ), used video below for how to remove the intake manifold (for just removing the manifold, there are a number of additional parts/systems he removes, which you do not need to do). Note multiple guides (including the mechanic in that video) recommended pulling the fuel pump fuse to de-pressurize the fuel line, however when I attempted to do that, the engine just immediately shuts off. Later learned the correct way to starve the line/stall the engine is to disconnect the "fuel pump module electrical connector" which appears to be just above the fuel tank.

Replaced the intake manifold gaskets (upper and lower). Swapped injector coils for cylinders 3 & 4. Cleaned the contact plate where the lower manifold and engine block meet using brake cleaner/engine degreaser and a scouring pad. Removed fuel rail and did superficial, manual cleaning of the face of the fuel injectors. Lightly cleaned surfaces in manifold of carbon deposits.

Codes haven't recurred (yet). Drive is much smoother (lifter "ticking" ever present, has been for the last 3 years). Mileage significantly improved.

Only need to watch parts 1 through 3:
OG4-IKSwzF

Update: New misfire code on #5, replaced the ignition coil packs (which I should have done at the same time as the plugs). Realized it had the old version of the coils (0221504032) installed, replaced with the updated model: 0221504048
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11179525&cc=3353538&pt=7060&jsn=9

Seems to be better, code resolved.

Last edited by deaddebate; 05-01-2022 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Update: replaced the injector coils/packs
Old 04-09-2022, 09:37 PM
LarDaLoon

Originally Posted by Akaempfe1s
I have a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan with approx. 80,000 miles. My check engine light recently came on, cylinder 2 misfire. I had code read at auto zone and they suggested a tune-up. My husband and his friends replaced the spark plugs and the coils. Light stays on but eventually goes away. I begin my summer travels and the light comes back on. Same code. I ended up taking it to an independent shop where they tell me I will need a new cylinder head and my VIN is not covered under the warranty for the other models of the van (I believe the 2010-2013 models). Has anyone else had this problem with the 2016 models? Any insight is appreciated. It frustrates me that I may have to pay A LOT of money to fix a car I am still paying on. TIA
I have a 2019 Caravan, same problem.#2 misfire. 73000mi

Old 04-09-2022, 09:41 PM
LarDaLoon

Originally Posted by LarDaLoon
I have a 2019 Caravan, same problem.#2 misfire.73000 mi 73000mi
wish me good.

The following users liked this post:
deaddebate (04-10-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 01:57 PM
mt29t
Default NO!!!!!!!! still paying on a a van in need of repairs under 100k!

Hello all,
Has anyone had any luck with this actually being repaired yet?
2018 dodge caravan sxt flex fuel here.
83,000 and having misfire codes p0302 and p0300.
Would this be considered electrical or mechanical failure?
thanks for your time.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:45 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Which ever cylinder that you are having a misfiring code. Try this if you are able too. Remove the spark plug and switch it to another cylinder, like misfire number 2. Switch the plug to number 4 and switch the coil pack to number 6. And see if the misfire follows one of those other cylinder. There as been problems with the front cylinder head, But also with the camshafts and rocker arms too. So you either need to isolate the problem. Do you know if the van is still under warranty?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Cylinder 2 misfire on 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan, anyone else?