Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: New ignition coil fixed everything including EVAP codes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 09:20 PM
billman5000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ignition coil fixed everything including EVAP codes!

Very surprised by this so I'm posting in case anyone else has the same deal. Caravan had codes P0108, P0351, P0352, P0442, P0455. When driving, gas fumes could be smelled, even with the rear windows cracked. Car ran like *** and got about 8 mpg. Did the usual - changed oil, cleaned throttle body, changed MAP sensor, changed plugs, changed PCV valve, repaired and reclamped a few cracked EVAP hoses. At one point we thought it must be the wiring harness deal, but it turned out to be ok.

Looking through this forum and some other sites I ran across a couple people saying that if one just took out the EVAP system, the car would still run about the same, though it would not pass emissions and would always throw a warning - that made me realize there might be at least 2 completely separate problems, EVAP leak (P0442, P0455) and ignition coil (P0351, P0352). So I replaced the ignition coil, $43 part and an hour's work for an amateur mechanic. (Half that time was mucking with the weird 10mm bolt nehind and under the PS reservoir).

Viola, the thing runs like a charm now, and the EVAP codes were cleared up. And there's no more gas fumes. Pictures attached are from ODB2 app.

5 codes before ignition coil replace

immediately after new ignition coil

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, 3.3L. 170k miles.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:46 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

great that you fixed it.

small leak codes take one week to mature...so wait and see.

the evap monitor won't run at all in cold temps.

anyone who advises to remove the evap system has no idea what they are doing.

Last edited by primem; 09-19-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:23 PM
billman5000
Default P0455 came back

The large leak EVAP code came back today - P0455. Just that code. It had magically went away upon replacement of the coil, and magically it's back. It must be something electronic, to behave like that. Argh!

Old 09-25-2019, 08:45 PM
primem
Record Breaker

i'll check into that code for you

Old 09-26-2019, 11:16 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

When you replaced the coil you may have had the codes cleared by a mechanic or if you did it yourself perhaps you removed the battery cables long enough or cleared them with the Torque app you have a screenshot from. I use Torque Pro and it removes codes.
In way of explanation it could be that because you weren't burning up all the fuel that the fumes in the evap system couldn't get sucked in, perhaps you had small backfires in the intake? These are theories though. You could have gummed up the MAP and the evap from the buildup of unburnt fuel that may have been backing up into the intake. Seafoam makes a top end cleaner that goes in at the throttle body and is sprayed as the engine is running. Do not spray cleaner on the MAP though. I'm not sure what you can use to clean that with.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:44 AM
primem
Record Breaker

if the evap dtc is the only dtc. I would start with a leak test of the evap system. smoke machine with a flow meter required.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:17 AM
billman5000

primem - Sorry to reply so late. Ordinarily a smoke test would be the way to go, but given that the whole EVAP thing (including fumes in the cabin, and ODB codes) disappeared for 6 days just from replacing the coil, I feel the problem is more subtle/complex. OTOH, the transmission will barely go in gear now, so the whole thing may be moot! wheee.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: New ignition coil fixed everything including EVAP codes!