Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Click and no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Jimcricket
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click and no start

Please any ideas, my 06 grand caravan 3.8l upon starting clicks but will not start. The starter hits the flywheel. I have replaced with a new battery, 5 different starters both styles. 3 alternators, I have good grounds good voltage. No cracks in the bell housing, I have used different shims, I have not found any damage to the flywheel. My goodness what else could this possibly be this is a real head scratcher.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:07 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

If you’re absolutely sure the starter is engaging the flywheel, the only thing left is the engine being locked up.

Try rotating the engine clockwise manually using the crankshaft pulley bolt. You might have to remove the passenger wheel and fender liner if you can’t access it from above. If it doesn’t move, try rotating counter clockwise (just keep in mind this can loosen the bolt from the crankshaft), then back clockwise.

If it doesn’t move in either direction, pull the spark plugs. Check for damage such as a crushed electrode. If no signs of damage, check for coolant or fuel in the cylinders which could be causing hydro lock.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Jimcricket

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
If you’re absolutely sure the starter is engaging the flywheel, the only thing left is the engine being locked up.

Try rotating the engine clockwise manually using the crankshaft pulley bolt. You might have to remove the passenger wheel and fender liner if you can’t access it from above. If it doesn’t move, try rotating counter clockwise (just keep in mind this can loosen the bolt from the crankshaft), then back clockwise.

If it doesn’t move in either direction, pull the spark plugs. Check for damage such as a crushed electrode. If no signs of damage, check for coolant or fuel in the cylinders which could be causing hydro lock.
starter is hitting the flywheel. The motor is not locked up. It seems to be an alignment issue but normal fixes do not work. Sometimes it will engage but then just a click.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:13 AM
GumbyRT
Captain

Ok - I was misunderstanding you. At first I thought the starter was engaging the flywheel but not spinning the engine.

Do you know if the engine or transmission was replaced at any time? If so it’s possible a different flywheel and starter combination was installed than what was originally stock and so the replacement starter isn’t the correct one.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Jimcricket

Previous owner replaced the motor. I have tried different styles of starters. The motor will start but not every time. Unfortunately it decides when it wants to.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn it sounds like you've covered every angle. Is there any way you can check the flywheel to make sure it's not bent or on crooked? Like could you unplug the spark somehow (so the engine doesn't start) and remove the flywheel inspection cover (
) then have someone crank the starter (won't start if no spark) and see if the flywheel is wobbling.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:04 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

WARNING: If you have never disabled spark before (other readers of this forum) do not ever just pull out the spark plugs and leave spark going down wires (newer vehicles don't have the classic wires but I don't know about 2001-07) because you can 1. SHOCK THE HELL OUT OF YOURSELF as I did when I was 18 or 19 (good times) or start a fire because fuel is still spitting into the cylinder and is making vapor that is safe in the exhaust but not above the engine where you are working.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:22 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

Originally Posted by Jimcricket
Previous owner replaced the motor. I have tried different styles of starters. The motor will start but not every time. Unfortunately it decides when it wants to.
Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by different styles of starters - what were the differences between them? I only looked at a couple of websites but I’m only seeing one type/style of starter listed - there is a choice between new and reman but they’re otherwise identical.

I’m not trying to beat a dead horse here but starters and flywheels are “matched sets” so to speak. Having a different year engine then that could be the reason you can’t find a starter that works, and it could also be affected by whether or not the PO changed the flywheel.

Originally Posted by IDon'tGiveARam
WARNING: If you have never disabled spark before (other readers of this forum) do not ever just pull out the spark plugs and leave spark going down wires (newer vehicles don't have the classic wires but I don't know about 2001-07) because you can 1. SHOCK THE HELL OUT OF YOURSELF as I did when I was 18 or 19 (good times) or start a fire because fuel is still spitting into the cylinder and is making vapor that is safe in the exhaust but not above the engine where you are working.
Spark on a 3.3 or 3.8 can be disabled by unplugging the 4 way ignition coil connector (not the individual plug wires). The PCM will still try to pulse the coils but with the primary connector unplugged it can’t be done and it doesn’t harm the coil or the PCM. It may trigger a DTC but that’s it.

Last edited by GumbyRT; 12-09-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:15 PM
Jimcricket

I will have to wait until weekend to try the no spark option but as far as the starter there is a boxed one and a round one.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Jimcricket

All of the starters I have installed have worked in the van for at least a few times. What ever it is it's a rare oddity. I have also had a few respectable mechanics look into this with the same head scratching. I thinking ethier putting in a different transmission or put in a in 3.3l and transmission.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Click and no start