Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Rear Caliper Leaking? With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 08:13 PM
RedRam2002
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
The equalizer is what allows the left and right cables to be evenly tensioned when the parking brake is applied. Follow the cable from the driver side toward the front and the point where the cables meet is where you’ll find the equalizer.

If you didn’t remove it, don’t worry about it. Oftentimes it’s easier to remove parking brake cables if the equalizer is removed but it’s not always necessary. The instructions you posted describe installation of the equalizer if it had been removed.
All is back together now and working like new, parking brake self adjusted and like you said, no need to worry about the equalizer as I hadn't unhooked it. Just to note, I also filed the insides of the caliper where the clips go so the pad slides better, looked like the caliper was not the upgraded one as p/n was the same.

Now just need to re-lube the pad clips each year as maintenance and hope the brakes last a few years.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:10 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tomas_so
All is back together now and working like new, parking brake self adjusted and like you said, no need to worry about the equalizer as I hadn't unhooked it. Just to note, I also filed the insides of the caliper where the clips go so the pad slides better, looked like the caliper was not the upgraded one as p/n was the same.

Now just need to re-lube the pad clips each year as maintenance and hope the brakes last a few years.
I won’t discourage cleaning and relubing the pads once a year - it’s not a bad idea - but I will say that if the rear brakes are needing replacement more often than the fronts, something is going on to cause drag.

Rear brakes only do about 20% of the work (every system is different but that’s the general distribution of force in most vehicles), so as a general rule, assuming everything works correctly, you should only need to replace rear brakes once per 2 sets of front brakes. To clarify a bit (this is just an example I’m not saying these are recommended intervals) if you have a brand new van and replace the front brakes at 30,000 then the rear brakes shouldn’t need to be replaced until the fronts are again at 60,000.

That said there are a lot of variables that affect this - driving habits, climate, amount of weight/cargo hauled on a regular basis, etc - but that’s a guideline.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Rear Caliper Leaking? With Pics