Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: After installing a programed pcm getting p0202 p0204 p0205 plz help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 01:06 AM
Osmosis0325
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After installing a programed pcm getting p0202 p0204 p0205 plz help

My 2001 dodge caravan 3.3 v6 was dead after leaving it 2 days in cold weather. I got a p0601 code and switched out the Pcm. The van starts but drives very weak and the headlights / interior lights dim. Now I'm getting p0202 p0204 p0205 injector circuit open. Before the car initially died I didn't have any of these issues or at least the car ran fine. The company I got the pcm said they would replace it. In just wondering of this is something else ? Bad alternator , wires shorted because it will take a while to ship off the pcm get it tested and returedn to me and ive been without a car for 20 days. Please if you have any guidance or advice please it would make my day.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:54 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

It’s unlikely to make a difference, but to make sure I’m looking at the right wiring diagram, please provide a full description of your van.

Is it a caravan or grand caravan? Is it a base or sport/other model (check the rear hatch) What is the engine code in the VIN (8th digit from left - will be 3, G or R)?

As an example, my van is a 2016 Grand Caravan R/T with a 3.6, VIN code G.

A couple of initial checks to make:

1) If the engine will idle on its own, use a long screwdriver or piece of wooden dowel to listen to the injectors one at a time. Compare the pulsing of the good injectors (1, 3, & 6) to the pulsing of the bad injectors (they will either be pulsing slowly or not at all). If I recall correctly, the front bank will be cylinders 2, 4, & 6 and the rear bank will be 1, 3, & 5 (if standing in front of the van and facing the engine, it’s left to right).

2) Make sure no pins on the PCM or its connectors were damaged during installation.

The following users liked this post:
Osmosis0325 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 12:15 AM
Osmosis0325

[QUOTE=GumbyRT;3462873]It’s unlikely to make a difference, but to make sure I’m looking at the right wiring diagram, please provide a full description of your van.

Is it a caravan or grand caravan? Is it a base or sport/other model (check the rear hatch) What is the engine code in the VIN (8th digit from left - will be 3, G or R)?

1) If the engine will idle on its own, use a long screwdriver or piece of wooden dowel to listen to the injectors one at a time. Compare the pulsing of the good injectors (1, 3, & 6) to the pulsing of the bad injectors (they will either be pulsing slowly or not at all). If I recall correctly, the front bank will be cylinders 2, 4, & 6 and the rear bank will be 1, 3, & 5 (if standing in front of the van and facing the engine, it’s left to right).

2) Make sure no pins on the PCM or its connectors were damaged during installation.[​​​​​​

Thanks for this info sir. Its a 2001 caravan 3.3l v6 automatic and the 8th digit in the VIN is a 3. I not sure if its the base one or not but I believe it is. Not sure how to find this out. My father was good with cars but he passed away and I unfortunately didn't take time to learn much in this regard. Ill be trying out your suggestions with listening to the injectors ASAP and ill report back after that.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:29 PM
Osmosis0325

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
It’s unlikely to make a difference, but to make sure I’m looking at the right wiring diagram, please provide a full description of your van.

2) Make sure no pins on the PCM or its connectors were damaged during installation.
thank you sir for the reply
Its a 2001 dodge caravan SE 3.3l v6 automatic the 8th digit in the vin is a 3. I couldn't check the injectors in the back but I did check 2 and it was pulsing similarly to the good injectors. Hopefully you see this that diagram would be useful. Also I noticed that when in park the rpm move up correctly when giving it gas and in drive I can't get it over 2 on the dial. Please let me know if there is any other info I could get for you. The company I got the pcm from said they would replace it if I return the part and their tests show its bad. It will just take awhile to mail it out and get it back so I'm hoping I can figure this out and not have to mail back the pcm

Old 12-15-2019, 11:03 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Did you do any other work or diagnosis prior to the PCM replacement?

The wiring diagram I have shows a basically dedicated circuit for each injector. They all get power from the ASD relay and are then ground side pulsed/controlled by the PCM.

If it were my van, here’s how I’d proceed:

1) Check the pins and terminals at the PCM for damage or loose tension (oftentimes they will appear spread out in relation to the surrounding terminals).

2) The wiring diagram doesn’t show it but I’m pretty sure the 3.3 has 2 primary connectors for the engine on the left side (if facing the engine). If there, check these for corrosion and clean as necessary. Apply dielectric grease to the female connector before hooking them back up.

3) Check the splice in the engine harness for the injector power supply. Typically a corroded splice will cause problems with all the related circuits but every situation has variables that can contribute to differing problems. You’re looking for a brown/white wire near the point where the harness splits off to each bank. This may mean removing the upper intake to access the harness.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Since you had a PCM issue and replaced the unit and you in need of vehicle do yourself a favor and eliminate the guess work out of the equation, Bring it to a good auto tech that has an good quality pro scanner who can isolate each cylinder by turning on or off each injector, they can also check each injector trigger rate to see if each one if they are pulsing all at the same rate. They should also determine if the PCM you bought is functioning correctly even though cars and trucks are still considered mostly mechanical it's control has gone electronically digital. While the mechanical issues can sometimes be visibly or audibly diagnosed it's impossible to properly diagnose any electronic issues without the proper specialized tool and equipment.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: After installing a programed pcm getting p0202 p0204 p0205 plz help