Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Town & Country Need Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 11:32 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2013 Town & Country Need Remote Start

Hi everyone, on Friday I bought my wife a 2013 Town and Country. Despite being loaded to the teeth it lacked remote start which is a must as car theft is rampant and we have a baby. The dealer wants 5 hours labor for the 1 hour job on top of a $300 part. That said I need advice on aftermarket.

Most of the install videos I watched showed it to be a simple install using a T connector at the ignition switch under the dash BUT then I have to have a licensed installer flash the programming.

1) Does anyone have an aftermarket remote start on a gen 5 van? 2) Does it work trouble free. 3) Do you know what brand or installer? 4) Roughly what did it cost installed and out the door?

Thanks, Jeff.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:08 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IDon'tGiveARam
1) Does anyone have an aftermarket remote start on a gen 5 van?
2) Does it work trouble free.
3) Do you know what brand or installer?
4) Roughly what did it cost installed and out the door?
1. Yes, I have one in my 2009 Grand Caravan.
2. Yes, it works trouble free.
3. It is a FlashLogic FLRSCH4, I installed it myself.
4. I paid less than $100 on ebay.

Installation was very easy, you only need to hook up the T-harness, but I hooked up the wire for the parking lights, and installed the included hood switch. The worst part was getting the ignition connector in and out.

This system uses the OEM Fobik, press the lock button three times to start.

The FlashLogic FLRSCH4 is available on ebay for less than $100, make sure you get one that is programmed (flashed) for your specific vehicle, otherwise you will have to purchase a programmer and do it yourself. Many of the sellers on ebay note that they will program the unit for your vehicle if you provide the information necessary.

Here is one of many ebay listings that includes programming: Flashlogic FLRSCH4 Remote Start System for Chrysler Town & Country 2012-2016

Here is a video showing the installation in a 2015

Here are the installation instructions from Flashlogic: https://images.idatalink.com/corpora...N_20200320.pdf

Last edited by georgef; 12-14-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:21 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional

Originally Posted by georgef
1. Yes, I have one in my 2009 Grand Caravan.
2. Yes, it works trouble free.
3. It is a FlashLogic FLRSCH4, I installed it myself.
4. I paid less than $100 on ebay.

Installation was very easy, you only need to hook up the T-harness, but I hooked up the wire for the parking lights, and installed the included hood switch. The worst part was getting the ignition connector in and out.

This system uses the OEM Fobik, press the lock button three times to start.

The FlashLogic FLRSCH4 is available on ebay for less than $100, make sure you get one that is programmed (flashed) for your specific vehicle, otherwise you will have to purchase a programmer and do it yourself. Many of the sellers on ebay note that they will program the unit for your vehicle if you provide the information necessary.

Here is one of many ebay listings that includes programming: Flashlogic FLRSCH4 Remote Start System for Chrysler Town & Country 2012-2016

Here is a video showing the installation in a 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ErhhlWKCvo

Here are the installation instructions from Flashlogic: https://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/RS-CH4/OEM-CH(RS)-CH4-[FLRSCH4]-EN_20200320.pdf

thanks man I actually watched that video and I'm buying one similar from a shop down the road. Hits from Omega logic and it has the same basic hookup. It's instructions are crap though where am I supposed to hook up the parking lights? According to the Chart I have the mux polarity and I need to hook up to a yellow and green wire in position six. None of that means a damn thing to me because it doesn't say position 6 of what. :-)

I'm not going to hook up the hood thing because nobody works on this vehicle but me. Unless I need a replacement transmission there isn't any reason for someone else to be working on my car. And even then I think I just pick up a rebuilt and put it in myself.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:05 PM
georgef
Veteran

...It's instructions are crap though where am I supposed to hook up the parking lights? According to the Chart I have the mux polarity and I need to hook up to a yellow and green wire in position six. None of that means a damn thing to me because it doesn't say position 6 of what...
Omegalink and Flashlogic are both part of Automotive Data Solutions Inc, they also sell under at least one other brand, iDatalink.

These Omegalink instructions show the connector is at the (headlight) switch: https://images.idatalink.com/corpora...N_20200320.pdf, that's where i hooked the parking light wire for my 2009.

Last edited by georgef; 12-16-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:57 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional

I have seen this table, I didn't know they meant the headlight switch. It's below freezing here so I did the minimum. Right now she can remote start and the headlights and taillights come on. I might do the other wires later.

I have the hood switch grounded on that metal bracket below the plug for the ignition since it must be grounded according to the instructions I've read. That's what the hood switch does is complete the ground inside when the hood pushes down the plunger.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:46 PM
georgef
Veteran

...Right now she can remote start and the headlights and taillights come on.
Do your headlights always come on when you start your van?

...I have the hood switch grounded on that metal bracket below the plug for the ignition since it must be grounded according to the instructions I've read. That's what the hood switch does is complete the ground inside when the hood pushes down the plunger...
I'm surprised it works with that wire grounded, the hood switch that comes with the remote start kit grounds that wire when the hood is OPEN, not closed.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:21 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional

I'm surprised it works with that wire grounded, the hood switch that comes with the remote start kit grounds that wire when the hood is OPEN, not closed.
The headlights are automatically on when it's dark and since I installed it yesterday it's always been dark in the morning when we leave. In the kit I have grounding is what the switch does when the hood it is closed.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:37 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional

I'm not confident about the hood switch. I just looked back at several of the install sheets and the videos on carid and people don't even bother with that other set of wires. The only thing most people hook up in various videos is the T harness and they don't bother hooking anything else up. I don't know where I found that the hood switch had to be grounded. It definitely wasn't Omega link ol-rs-ch4 though which is ultimately what I ended up buying.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:51 PM
georgef
Veteran

I'm not confident about the hood switch. I just looked back at several of the install sheets and the videos on carid and people don't even bother with that other set of wires. The only thing most people hook up in various videos is the T harness and they don't bother hooking anything else up. I don't know where I found that the hood switch had to be grounded. It definitely wasn't Omega link ol-rs-ch4 though which is ultimately what I ended up buying.
When I look up the Omegalink OL-RS-CH4 online it looks like it comes with this switch:

If that is the case thank switch complete a path to ground when the hood is open. Have you tried the remote start without that wire grounded?

Old 12-18-2020, 06:54 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional

When I look up the Omegalink OL-RS-CH4 online it looks like it comes with this switch:

If that is the case thank switch complete a path to ground when the hood is open. Have you tried the remote start without that wire grounded?
It works just fine grounded, so no I'm not going to take that ground off. If it ain't broke...... :-)

The following users liked this post:
georgef (12-19-2020)

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Town & Country Need Remote Start