Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Strange Transmission Behavior - Any Help Appreciated!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 02:54 PM
Lion Heart
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Strange Transmission Behavior - Any Help Appreciated!!

Hey guys!

I have a Grand Caravan 2013 3.6 V6.

The gear shifts got noisy a while back and struggled to get it into gear to move the car... and so around 3 months ago I changed the transmission fluid and filter (both correct factory spec). Brought the car back to life!!

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed gear changes are getting progressively worse... Here's what I noted about the gear changes:

1) Sometimes there is a noticeable bump/shudder as the gear changes. The change that kicks in around 50-60kmph is the worst by far, but does it at other speeds as well.
2) Shifting down seems to be smooth, the issue is when accellerating and moving up the gears.
3) Sometimes instead of a bump/shudder sensation, there are a couple of 'chirp' noises as the gear changes.
4) It does not happen for every gear change, sometimes the chnages are smooth at any speed. But it does happen several times during (example) a 15 minute drive.
5) Does not seem to slip gears, and seems to find the correct gear ok, but sometimes with a bump/shudder, or chirp!

I initially thought maybe the famous transmission solenoid pack, but I have connected my OBDII scanner and zero gearbox issue codes stored (which I expected to see if a solenoid issue??)

Maybe the torque converter?? Although the symtoms seem different?

All help much appreciated!!

Old 02-03-2021, 03:20 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you sure you have enough fluid in there? Do you have that silly universal transmission dipstick my wifes 2011 jeep had? If so, how did you know the fluid temperature to get to the correct fill mark? FYI on my 2018 Caravan there isn't even a spot to check the fluid.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:24 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional

Another thought: does this issue happen when the fluid is just hot or just cold? What does the fluid temperature look like at steady highway speeds for 10+ minutes? Mine is around 140-150F I think in the fall ~70F outside. I can watch it tonight on the way home which is 40miles up and down hills at 70-80mph.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:32 PM
Lion Heart

Thanks for the reply! Yes, checked the fluid since it started and level was spot on. I will check it again.

I have watched lots of Youtube videos and converted the standard oil dipstick to double as a tranny dipstick too, and run my level test when cold (cold start up, check done with engine running).

It happens when both hot or cold, unfortunately!!

Old 02-03-2021, 03:37 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional

Originally Posted by Lion Heart
Thanks for the reply! Yes, checked the fluid since it started and level was spot on. I will check it again.

I have watched lots of Youtube videos and converted the standard oil dipstick to double as a tranny dipstick too, and run my level test when cold (cold start up, check done with engine running).

It happens when both hot or cold, unfortunately!!
well when you check the fluid you have to go to D & R both for several seconds and then check it in N or P and you have to know the specific temperature down to the five degree increment in order to accurately check the level. The generic Dorman dipstick which is the same the dealer will sell you is only 20 bucks at any auto parts store. That same distict is well over $100 at the dealer and it's the exact same part from Dorman either way. I would start there.
https://images.oreillyauto.com/parts...7-327instr.pdf

Last edited by IDon'tGiveARam; 02-03-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:02 PM
Lion Heart

That's interesting. I know when filling the transmission after the filtere change you need to put it through the sequence of gears to get the fluid moving around the system and get it completely full, but have not heard before that you also need to do that for the level check. I'll try it!

Yes, the dipstick has marks for both cold and fully warm engine and the marks are on the rear of the standard oil dipstick. There are a few YouTube videos showing how to do this.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:02 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Dodge had some software updates for the 62 TE transmission check if you have the latest software update good reputable transmission shop can check it and install the latest version of software if it isn't up to date.

How many miles or km do you have on the van the like expectancy of the 62 TE is 125,000 miles(208,333 km) to 150,000 miles( 250,000 km) you have to take in consideration the maintenance schedule and type of service city or highway miles towing and heavy hauling will affect the life expectancy.
Torque converter mine went bad usually when they fail they clog the filter with debris and you'll hear and whining noise and eventually no movement .

The grand caravans have been known over the years to be notorious for transmission issues I would suggest to go to a good transmission shop and have them check yours out to make sure it's still in good operating condition.

Old 02-04-2021, 02:50 PM
Lion Heart

Thanks for the input, guys!

Ok so had a good poke around, and found a leak coming from one of the two hose lines on the top of the gearbox. Seemed loose, so tightened back up and the leak stopped.

So, upon checking the fluid level, indeed it was low! So topped it off to the correct level using ATF+4.

Drove it and problem is 90% gone! Still a VERY occasional clunky gear change, but no shuddering changes and no chirp noises etc. A much better drive!

So in my case almost definitely down to low fluid it seems!!

The van has 300,000km and unsure if it's the original transmission, or if it was replaced at some point.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Strange Transmission Behavior - Any Help Appreciated!!