Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Changed egr valve and corroded connector cleared p0403 but symptoms remain

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 02:07 PM
HokeyPokey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed egr valve and corroded connector cleared p0403 but symptoms remain

I've been working on my 2002 caravan 3.3L sport for a few weeks trying to fix a rough idle and stuttering when I start moving from a stop. It also chugs going up hills.

I was getting a p0403 code, so I checked the connector to the egr valve it was corroded. I replaced the connector, code still there. So I replaced the egr valve and now there is no code, which would be great but all the same symptoms are still happening. I will say it has improved but it still happens with the same frequency. Now it doesn't chug much when I'm in park but when I'm in drive stopped it chugs.

My Googling turn up something about the C102 connector

if you guys have any ideas or advice I love to hear them.

I also changed out 4 of the 6 spark plugs, 2 where seized and I didn't want to break them.

Last edited by HokeyPokey; 06-05-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:11 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

To break loose the plugs without breaking them off, spend a week spraying them with penetrating oil once a day about 5-10 minutes after you’re done driving it for the day (or, if not driving daily, run the engine up to temperature and then shut it off). This will give the penetrant time to work overnight and the excess will drip off to prevent creating a misfire.

After a week of this, run the engine to temperature, then allow at least 10-15 minutes for it to cool before attempting to break them loose. The head should be warm but not hot - if it’s hot enough to singe your knuckles while holding the ratchet, give it another 5 minutes and check again.

As for connectors, the 2 large square connectors near the throttle body are known for corrosion problems. Disconnect the negative battery cable and separate the connectors. Use electronic contact cleaner (MAF sensor cleaner is essentially the same thing) and compressed air to clean them. Heavy corrosion will probably require terminal replacement but applying a thin layer of dielectric grease to the female side of the terminals will get you by temporarily. Once cleaned and reconnected (the retaining bolts just need to be snug), reconnect the battery and go for a test drive.

The following users liked this post:
HokeyPokey (06-06-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 12:19 PM
HokeyPokey

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
To break loose the plugs without breaking them off, spend a week spraying them with penetrating oil once a day about 5-10 minutes after you’re done driving it for the day (or, if not driving daily, run the engine up to temperature and then shut it off). This will give the penetrant time to work overnight and the excess will drip off to prevent creating a misfire.

After a week of this, run the engine to temperature, then allow at least 10-15 minutes for it to cool before attempting to break them loose. The head should be warm but not hot - if it’s hot enough to singe your knuckles while holding the ratchet, give it another 5 minutes and check again.

As for connectors, the 2 large square connectors near the throttle body are known for corrosion problems. Disconnect the negative battery cable and separate the connectors. Use electronic contact cleaner (MAF sensor cleaner is essentially the same thing) and compressed air to clean them. Heavy corrosion will probably require terminal replacement but applying a thin layer of dielectric grease to the female side of the terminals will get you by temporarily. Once cleaned and reconnected (the retaining bolts just need to be snug), reconnect the battery and go for a test drive.

Awesome thank your for the advice, the vehicle won't be leaving the garage while I do this since I needed to remove the windshield wiper assembly to get at the back 3 plugs, which of coarse is where the siezed 2 live... couldn't be the easy to reach ones... okay I will try this method out for a few days and let you know how it goes. I'll do it once before work and once after work until they decide they wanna come lose.

I checked the 2 connectors and a few others that all look to be in great condition.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:40 AM
Alexander Polozov

Do you replace EGR valve with the same partnumber? On Dodge Caravan with 3.3 engine were 2 variants EGR valve: 04861635AF before 08.08.2005 and 04861662AB after 08.08.2005, and they not complementary.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Changed egr valve and corroded connector cleared p0403 but symptoms remain