Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Caravan misfire, no code, mediocre compression test

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 12:30 AM
cbeers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Caravan misfire, no code, mediocre compression test

Noticed the engine missing two weeks ago, no check engine light and no stored codes. 63K, so slightly over the warranty.

I was luckily able to pull a pending code for Cylinder 2 Misfire, which I found out is covered under an extended warranty for earlier models(bad head), but not mine.

I replaced the spark plugs and swapped coil pack from the #2 cylinder and no change.

We put some Heet in the tank, because we thought maybe we had water in our gas. It seemed to improve for a few days, but the misfire returned. We ran another tank of Heet and no improvement.

I did a compression test and got some weird results at first. I got 120psi on cyl2 then 90 on the next two. After "standardizing" my testing I was getting 150psi on each cylinder, but engine wasn't completely warm by that point. After reassembling everything I took it for a drive and there was no obvious misfires, but there were some weird hesitations here and there.

We're going on a small trip tomorrow and I fully expect the misfire to return.

It's really disappointing, because we had a 2006 SXT that we took from 33K to 238K and sold to an excited buyer that expected to hit 300K based off past experience.

If it misfires again I fully plan to take it in for diagnostics and hope for the best. My pessimism expects the worse.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:51 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Could have been a fuel injector that was plugged, But if the compression was 90 psi. I'm thinking valves or rockers or camshaft. On your next compression test, do a wet test and see if the compression comes up. If if it does, that sounds like a rings or piston is leaking.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:12 PM
cbeers

Originally Posted by master tech
Could have been a fuel injector that was plugged, But if the compression was 90 psi. I'm thinking valves or rockers or camshaft. On your next compression test, do a wet test and see if the compression comes up. If if it does, that sounds like a rings or piston is leaking.
I'm not sure why I was only getting 120 and 90 the first couple times. It's my first time using a compression tester and it was brand new. I retested everything and got 150psi on all six cylinders. Tested them a couple times each. It's still missing as of today, but not terribly so.

I just have a cheap Bluetooth ODBII scanner. I'm guessing Dodge or really any decent shop will have something better. The only code that ever got stored was a limp code P2110 that went away after the first Heet treatment.

I would suspect bad gas more if we weren't getting gas from so many different sources and hadn't done like 3 Heet treatments already.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Is it misfiring at an Idle or above?

Old 08-02-2021, 11:47 PM
cbeers

Originally Posted by master tech
Is it misfiring at an Idle or above?
Idle RPM yes. In Park as well as in D.

Low RPM more so,1500-2000rpm. Especially under load/incline.

Higher RPM seems to mask the issue, but feels like power is down.

Since I live in Phoenix and have to climb elevation to get anywhere, I have been using the manual shifting more with this issue than ever.

Last edited by cbeers; 08-02-2021 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Caravan misfire, no code, mediocre compression test