Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 CARAVAN OIL WEIGHT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:48 PM
rye2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 CARAVAN OIL WEIGHT?

I have a 2003 Caravan and can't figure out what i should refill the oil with? is it 5w30 or 10w30?
It's got the 3.3L

Old 01-07-2006, 09:39 PM
dwaj76
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2003 CARAVAN OIL WEIGHT?

I have a 2000 that says it should use 5w30 but belive it or not I relized I actually get better gas milage with 10w30. And I use a semi synthetic as oppose to the price of full synthetic.

The following users liked this post:
Raff (07-14-2021)
Old 01-07-2006, 10:31 PM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2003 CARAVAN OIL WEIGHT?

I use 10W-30 Mobil Clean 5000 and change the oil every 3,000 miles (3.3L V6) with an STP S16 Oil Filter (Changed every 3,000 miles). I've noticed that the Mobil doesn't burn off like conventional oil.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:22 PM
birchy
Rookie

Sorry to bump such an old thread - but I'm trying my best to use the search feature.

Can someone confirm for me what oil weight is recommended for the 3.8 V6? I also have a 2003, and it didn't have the owner's manual when we bought it. Also, is there a recommended oil filter brand?

Thanks!

Last edited by birchy; 03-27-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:22 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
This out of the 2003 service manual.
DESCRIPTION - ENGINE OIL AND LUBRICANTS
WARNING: NEW OR USED ENGINE OIL CAN BE IRRITATING TO THE SKIN. AVOID PROLONGED OR REPEATED SKIN CONTACT WITH ENGINE OIL. CONTAMINANTS IN USED ENGINE OIL, CAUSED BY INTERNAL COMBUSTION, CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. THOROUGHLY WASH EXPOSED SKIN WITH SOAP AND WATER. DO NOT WASH SKIN WITH GASOLINE, DIESEL FUEL, THINNER, OR SOLVENTS, HEALTH PROBLEMS CAN RESULT. DO NOT POLLUTE, DISPOSE OF USED ENGINE OIL PROPERLY. CONTACT YOUR DEALER OR GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR LOCATION OF COLLECTION CENTER IN YOUR AREA.

When service is required, DaimlerChrysler Corporation recommends that only MoparŽ brand parts, lubricants and chemicals be used. MoparŽ provides the best engineered products for servicing DaimlerChrysler Corporation vehicles.

Only lubricants bearing designations defined by the following organization should be used.

Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
American Petroleum Institute (API)
National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI)
API SERVICE GRADE CERTIFIED
Use an engine oil that is API Certified (GF-3). MoparŽ provides engine oils, meeting Material Standard MS-6395, that meet or exceed this requirement.

SAE VISCOSITY
An SAE viscosity grade is used to specify the viscosity of engine oil. Use only engine oils with multiple viscosities such as 5W-30 or 10W-30. These are specified with a dual SAE viscosity grade which indicates the cold-to-hot temperature viscosity range. Select an engine oil that is best suited to your particular temperature range and variation (TEMPERATURE/ENGINE OIL VISCOSITY).

ENERGY CONSERVING OIL
An Energy Conserving type oil is recommended for gasoline engines. The designation of ENERGY CONSERVING is located on the label of an engine oil container.

CONTAINER IDENTIFICATION
Standard engine oil identification notations have been adopted to aid in the proper selection of engine oil. The identifying notations are located on the front label of engine oil plastic bottles and the top of engine oil cans (API SYMBOL).

This symbol means that the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). DiamlerChrysler only recommends API Certified (GF-3) engine oils that meet the requirements of Material Standard MS-6395. Use MoparŽ or an equivalent oil meeting the specification MS-6395.

SYNTHETIC ENGINE OILS
There are a number of engine oils being promoted as either synthetic or semi-synthetic. If you chose to use such a product, use only those oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) and SAE viscosity standard. Follow the service schedule that describes your driving type.

ENGINE OIL ADDITIVES/SUPPLEMENTS
The manufacturer does not recommend the addition of any engine oil additives/supplements to the specified engine oil. Engine oil additives/supplements should not be used to enhance engine oil performance. Engine oil additives/supplements should not be used to extend engine oil change intervals. No additive is known to be safe for engine durability and can degrade emission components. Additives can contain undesirable materials that harm the long term durability of engines by:

Doubling the level of Phosphorus in the engine oil. The ILSAC (International Lubricant Standard Approval Committee) GF-2 and GF-3 standards require that engine oil contain no more than 0.10% Phosphorus to protect the vehicles emissions performance. Addition of engine oil additives/supplements can poison, from the added sulfur and phosphorus, catalysts and hinder efforts to guarantee emissions performance to 80,000 miles.
Altering the viscosity characteristics of the engine oil so that it no longer meets the requirements of the specified viscosity grade.
Creating potential for an undesirable additive compatibility interaction in the engine crankcase. Generally it is not desirable to mix additive packages from different suppliers in the crankcase; there have been reports of low temperature engine failures caused by additive package incompatibility with such mixtures.
GEAR LUBRICANTS
SAE ratings also apply to multigrade gear lubricants. In addition, API classification defines the lubricants usage. Such as API GL-5 and SAE 75W-90.

LUBRICANTS AND GREASES
Lubricating grease is rated for quality and usage by the NLGI. All approved products have the NLGI symbol (NLGI SYMBOL) on the label. At the bottom of the NLGI symbol is the usage and quality identification letters. Wheel bearing lubricant is identified by the letter “G”. Chassis lubricant is identified by the letter “L”. The letter following the usage letter indicates the quality of the lubricant. The following symbols indicate the highest quality.

SPECIALIZED LUBRICANTS AND OILS
Some maintenance or repair procedures may require the use of specialized lubricants or oils. Consult the appropriate sections in this manual for the correct application of these lubricants.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 AM
birchy
Rookie

That's great - thank you!

Quick Reply: 2003 CARAVAN OIL WEIGHT?