Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Manual tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006 | 09:12 PM
Kolhoznik
Default Manual tranny?

Anyone know if there's any manual tranny that'll bolt up to the 3.3 chrysler engine?

Old 05-03-2006 | 12:09 AM
minivanin
Professional
Default RE: Manual tranny?

nope, trust me, if there was, i'll have one by now

there is one guy i remember on the 3.3 mailing list that is a machinist & is attempting to adapt one to it, but i haven't heard a word about it for a long while

we are stuck with the A604/41TE trans, enjoy!

i'm putting in trans #4 like right now

-greg

Old 05-03-2006 | 12:32 AM
Kolhoznik

I went through 5 in a year...back when I had my 92 GC ES...I'm trying to get ahold of a turbo with a 5-speed, and swap that into a good 92 GC ES shell...

Old 05-03-2006 | 02:36 AM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie

Nope, cant be done.

I dunno why so many people think it is possible, but ***no*** 3.3/3.5/3.8 ever got anything BUT the A604/A606.

Even the 3.5 Prowler had the A606 sh_tbox in it.

And don't believe allpar's page where it says the 3.3 uses a bellhousing based on the 3.0- couldn't be further from the truth.

3.0 left- 3.3 to the right:

Old 05-03-2006 | 11:46 AM
Kolhoznik

I can't stand sh_tboxes...as soon as I get ahold of another caravan that I like I'll be swaping the engine to something tuner friendly with a manual tranny...may-be even a Honda H22...

Old 05-03-2006 | 12:39 PM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie

Yea, I love Chrysler but that is where they made their biggest mistake in the 1990s-

They went and made the prowler, gave it the 3.5 high output engine (a damn good engine btw) and paired with with an autostick A606 and said "no one will notice its not a real manual"

They then had very few, if any performance parts in the Mopar Performance catalog for the Prowler- that could have been the perfect performance platform, the car looks awesome- people liked it, if I recall it was cheaper than the viper for those who didn't have that kind of cash.

So everyone who bought one had to go online and form their own performance companies just for intake manifolds and headers (grrr).

For whatever reason the 3.3/3.5/3.8 has been ignored and I would argue it is the biggest marketing mistake of the last 10/15 years from the big 3- the 3.5 especially can do so much, just look at the high dollar prowler builds (now making 10s on the 1/4 if i recall).

Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if they started making a manual trans with a 3.3 bellhousing, that it would be bought up like crazy by people not wanting to rebuild an a604 for the upteenth time...

Old 05-03-2006 | 02:16 PM
Kolhoznik

I'd jump on a manual in a 604 housing right there...and so will a lot of people. I have NEVER had a problem with the engine itself (not including accessories), but that damned tranny...

Old 05-03-2006 | 09:45 PM
minivanin
Professional

looking at the bells, looks like about 7 or so bolt holes would line up, but then the starter & whatever other ****

once a decent method of putting a manual next to a 3.3 is found i will do it

-greg

Old 05-05-2006 | 03:35 PM
neon_rt

The '07 Wrangler has the 3.8l (minivan) engine adapted for RWD with a 6-speed manual.
Depending on the changes they made for RWD, it may make putting a 3.3l or 3.8l engine into a RWD project car a reallity.
I would actually like to try putting a 3.8l w/6-speed into my Cherokee.
I have a friend with a late '70's Dodge Colt RWD, it weighs about 1600 pounds, it would llike a 3.8 i'm sure.

Old 05-05-2006 | 09:47 PM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie

I will believe it when I see it as I have seen many conflicting reports as to that Jeep use of the 3.8 and 6speed manual.

Especially given that we already know the next minivan generation will be using a 6 speed auto based off of the A604

I would not be surprised if people just assumed the Jeep would have a manual when it is really the same trans as the new minivans will be getting.

Guess we will have to wait and see, thankfully less than a year before we will know for sure.

Quick Reply: Manual tranny?