Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Best Struts for 95 Caravan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:20 PM
k12allen
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Struts for 95 Caravan?

Want to treat my 180k mile 95 Caravan 7 passenger Sport to new front struts - replaced once at ~85k so new ones are due.

Anybody know what brand and model strut is best for controlled ride and good handling?

And bushings for the sway bar - preferred source??

Allen

Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 PM
webbee
Professional
Default RE: Best Struts for 95 Caravan?

I don't know best, but I use KYB GR2's. Stiffer than stock but still give a good ride. A lot of peeps use Monroe. I haven't read many good reviews of Gabriel.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:03 PM
k12allen
Professional

ORIGINAL: webbee

I don't know best, but I use KYB GR2's. Stiffer than stock but still give a good ride. A lot of peeps use Monroe. I haven't read many good reviews of Gabriel.
First replacements were Monroe and I hoped to find something more - not that the Monroes were so bad before being worn out, just not magic either. You like your KYB's?

Allen

Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 PM
webbee
Professional

Yes, but you have to understand I am a former kart racer, so I like a stiff suspension. These are stiffer than stock but not as stiff as Koni's, or even as KYB Gas-a-Just shocks. Some peeps don't like these due to the stiffness factor. I know that I am not making a racing minivan but I am trying to get neutral cornering, which with the Addco sway bars I have achieved. I had Monroe's on another vehicle and while stiffer than the factory shocks, were to soft for me. I feel the road in my van, which I want to do. I generally wouldn't recommend stiffing it up too much if this is a family/wife driven van.

I have had long life out of KYB shocks in the past but I am only into a few thousand miles on these GR2's. Never used this part of their product line before. This is kinda a hard topic to write about because it's experiential and I don't know how to describe it other than to say it works for me.

As always, good luck with your project!

Old 11-08-2006, 01:30 PM
k12allen
Professional

Yes, but you have to understand I am a former kart racer, so I like a stiff suspension. These are stiffer than stock but not as stiff as Koni's, or even as KYB Gas-a-Just shocks. Some peeps don't like these due to the stiffness factor. I know that I am not making a racing minivan but I am trying to get neutral cornering, which with the Addco sway bars I have achieved. I had Monroe's on another vehicle and while stiffer than the factory shocks, were to soft for me. I feel the road in my van, which I want to do. I generally wouldn't recommend stiffing it up too much if this is a family/wife driven van.

I have had long life out of KYB shocks in the past but I am only into a few thousand miles on these GR2's. Never used this part of their product line before. This is kinda a hard topic to write about because it's experiential and I don't know how to describe it other than to say it works for me.

As always, good luck with your project!
Thanks, webbe - you have the knowledge for the advice I need. Also thanks to the folk who keep this site going.

This van is used by wife and me as a commuter and stuff hauler. Total magic would be making it ride and handle like a 7 series Bimmer, but that's not gonna happen. Stiffness is fine cause it will help a lot on approach ramps and dodging killers in semi's and killers in tuners.

Was thinking about Koni, but if those are too stiff for a kart racer then maybe it's best to save the $$. So I plan to find a place for a good price on KYB GR2's. Any info on your Addco sway bar would also be appreciated.

Allen

Old 11-08-2006, 05:28 PM
webbee
Professional

I put the thicker bars on both front and back of my '99. 1 1/8" front and 1" on rear. Addco site for Dodge Caravan will tell you what one you need for your year. Do a search for who has them the cheapest. Try Summit or Jegs as a couple places to start. I forget who I bought mine from but I think they were in So. Cal. Seemed like it took some time as they were on back order from Addco.

The Koni's would work for me if I was racing the van (that's an insane thought), but their just too much control/stiffness for hauling stuff around. Some peeps run them and say they like them. I just don't like getting pounded that much, even on the low setting. Guess I'm getting old...

Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
k12allen
Professional

I put the thicker bars on both front and back of my '99. 1 1/8" front and 1" on rear. Addco site for Dodge Caravan will tell you what one you need for your year. Do a search for who has them the cheapest. Try Summit or Jegs as a couple places to start. I forget who I bought mine from but I think they were in So. Cal. Seemed like it took some time as they were on back order from Addco.

The Koni's would work for me if I was racing the van (that's an insane thought), but their just too much control/stiffness for hauling stuff around. Some peeps run them and say they like them. I just don't like getting pounded that much, even on the low setting. Guess I'm getting old...
Thanks again, Webbee. Bet my 6 decades trumps what you have, so there's no need for Konis for me either .

I got used to going overboard on suspension bits from interest in sport motorocycles. A spring/shock for one wheel was ~$1200. But no point trying to make a silk purse from a Caravan. Will check the sites you list.

Allen

Old 11-09-2006, 04:19 AM
webbee
Professional

You might lose that bet...
Scooters or machines, it's all the same, they're all good.
There aren't very many performance parts for Caravans. Guess the vendors don't think soccer mom's want to rod their minivans. Sometimes it looks to me like there are more minis on the road than other cars. Seems like there are more DC minis than any other. First mod on my dream list is a five speed stick. That will never happen but...
Suspension mods are some of the first things I do. I want a controllable vehicle especially during those panic situations that happen out here. Not naming names, but you know who you are! I'm certain racings safer than driving on the highways of America.
Brakes are another spot I visit when doing suspension work. When I do front pads next, I want to try the ceramic pads. I read such good things.
I have a shorty and with suspension improvements it's quite fun to drive. On a curvy road it might surprise those Jap sedan fanboys.
I think next up is a 2 1/4" performance exhaust. I'm about to gut the air box to improve flow a bit.
That's my story and I'm stickin to it...

Quick Reply: Best Struts for 95 Caravan?