Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

New Challenger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 04:13 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Challenger?

No, that's not Foose. Also, this has been confirmed by more then one site, not to mention the NAIAS site as well.

However, I could see why you would think so.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:55 PM
BJsHemi

I think the new engine for the new challenger should be a 426 srt Hemi will 500 Plus HP

Old 11-23-2005, 06:18 PM
crcarch
Professional

I think those of you who are complaining because the Charger is a 4-door and the Challenger is too "old-school" are missing it.

Would you have liked a 4-door "sledgehammer" if it wasn't named Charger? Face it. The world is far different than it was 35 years ago. SUV's - yes. Minivans - yes. 4-doors yes. 2-doors - rarely. They just don't make up 70% of the market like they used to. Dodge deserves kudos for producing a ride capable of opening a can of Whoop-A$$ on most anything short of a Vette or Viper, gets respectable MPG, has plenty of room for the kiddies and dosn't cost a fortune. Perhaps the only thing they did wrong was resurrect the name on a 4-door, but remember the name was used earlier on a K-car based 2-door 4-banger. Better 4-doors than wussy performance! This one at least backs up the heritage of the name by being better in every respect to the original......except looks and that's subjective anyway.

As to the Challenger being too "old-school". What do we all like about the old stuff, anyway? Looks - yes! Haul-A$$ performance - yes! Handling - no! Creature comforts - no! So what's wrong with the big three digging back into the style-graveyard offering us what guys like Foose and Unique and Baldwin Motion are charging six figures for and people are lining up to buy? We love the old stuff because of the way it looks but we've grown to appreciate good handling, economy and modern creature comforts. If they can make a new car that's as fast or faster, actually handle, be reliable and offer modern convieniences and still have the styling cues we all grew up loving, then why not!? The Mustang and the GT succeed because they look very much like the cars of our memory. The new T-bird failed and the GTO is failing because they don't.

Personnally I can't wait to park one of the new Challengers next to my original one in the driveway. It's going to make a great family photo!

Old 11-23-2005, 07:52 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I think that one of the biggest reasons why so many people raised a stink about the Charger being a 4dr was that neither Dodge or Chrysler has an AFFORDABLE 2dr coupe that compares with the Mustang, Vette, Camaro, Monte Carlo SS, GTO, the new G6 Coupe for Pontiac, the Lexus and Nissan Coupe's.....

Let's face it, Dodge has 2 Coupes currently, the Viper and the Stratus. The Stratus is a nice looking coupe, but severely lacking the power it needed to be a hardcore coupe. Before that, you had the really, really underpowered Avenger. I mean seriously, there hasnt been a 2dr V8 in Dodge's lineup since the 70's.....and they havent put out a worthwhile performance coupe since the Daytona, and even that wasnt all that great of a car.

The fact is, both GM and Ford based products have 2dr coupes that succeed and have lasted for years. About half of them were offered in 4dr models. I mean, you have several affordable under 35k sports coupes, but not a single one thats a V8 from DCX period. And before any pipes up with the Crossfire, the thing is a V6, and if you dont get the SRT-6, it's an average coupe and it's about the same size as a Cavalier inside.

I just think alot of people, especially the Mopar crowd were really hoping for a return to a V8 coupe. I know I wouldnt be against it. I'm a diehard Camaro nut, and I'm anxiously awaiting its return. But if they brought it back as a 4dr. I'd never buy it.

They coulda used several older names from the Dodge/Plymouth past for the Charger.

I tell ya this, yes, the Charger, 300C, and Magnum all perform like crazy.....but not everybody wants a big car. I dont. I know several who dont. I know a guy who has an old Mopar, owns a Crown Vic because he wanted a RWD V8 and Dodge just doesnt have it....and he loves DCX.....

He went nuts over the Challenger spy pictures, he's all ready to get one NOW.....not so much because of the way it looks, but more because its a great lookin car thats a 2dr coupe V8.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Dartman69
Veteran

Hey, Devil's Reject...let it go already!!!

You don't want a Charger cuz you can't afford the extra two doors...that's not our problem!

Old 11-23-2005, 09:07 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: Dartman69

You don't want a Charger cuz you can't afford the extra two doors...that's not our problem!

hahah 30k isn't much. the average car is $27,958. I've got a reliable source if you want to call me out on that. thanks to people like me and you Derrick that number isn't higher. your stratus and my intrepid helped bring that number down. i mean **** 30k isn't much. the most basic 4x4 quad cab ram 1500 starts at $30,005.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Dartman69

You're right, I can't afford the SRT-8 Charger, but why would I want a V6 behemoth......but then again, why would I want it? My uncle gets discounts on cars because he works for a windshield production company. The reality is, I dont want a 4dr car. If I had, I'd probably be driving an Impala SS or an Acura TL.

The money isnt the issue, I just really dont want a 4dr family car. I dont care how fast it goes. If you wanna give me one, I'll take it, but I wouldnt buy it.....

Old 11-24-2005, 01:29 AM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker

According to Motor Trend, the new Challenger will be a 2-Door coupe built on the Charger/Magnum/300C platform. The base engine will be the 3.5 Liter V6. The 340 hp 5.7 Liter (340 c.i.d. For all of the old-school folks like me) HEMI V8 will be optional - a seperate Road/Track package will add 10 extra ponies (Similar to the one in today's Charger). There will also be the SRT8 Challenger with the 6.1 Liter HEMI V8 under the hood. Price ranges will mirror the '05 Mustang.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:56 AM
angelmav

Well I just joined this forum because I am so geeked about the possibility of the new Challenger! I have always been a dodge guy but up to this point the only car thats has really gotten me excited is the 05 Mustang. Well not anymore, If Dodge builds anything close to the 2dr seen in the spy photos (hopefully in orange) there will be one in my driveway!

Old 11-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: crcarch

As to the Challenger being too "old-school". What do we all like about the old stuff, anyway? Looks - yes! Haul-A$$ performance - yes! Handling - no! Creature comforts - no! So what's wrong with the big three digging back into the style-graveyard offering us what guys like Foose and Unique and Baldwin Motion are charging six figures for and people are lining up to buy? We love the old stuff because of the way it looks but we've grown to appreciate good handling, economy and modern creature comforts. If they can make a new car that's as fast or faster, actually handle, be reliable and offer modern convieniences and still have the styling cues we all grew up loving, then why not!? The Mustang and the GT succeed because they look very much like the cars of our memory. The new T-bird failed and the GTO is failing because they don't.

Personnally I can't wait to park one of the new Challengers next to my original one in the driveway. It's going to make a great family photo!
We can't afford to sacrifice looks for terrible aerodynamics. Which is what this concept is doing. We want a new look with a hint of old school design. We don't want to all of the old school design or we are taking steps backwards.

The Mustang and GT were done perfectly. Not too old school, not too new.

I just hope it looks a little different when they are done...

Quick Reply: New Challenger?