Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

Shopping for a Challenger, what should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 09:18 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for a Challenger, what should I know?

Hello all! I've been away for a while, but a lot has happened. I'm looking to but a Challenger for my new daily driver. I drive hard but average around 250 miles a week between school and work, so I want something fun but affordable. I have my eye on a 2015 R/T with the M6 and 99,000 miles, but don't have time to test drive until next week. As far as manual vs automatic, my truck is a manual and I love it. Shifting it just feels natural and I barely have to think about it, plus I feel more connected to the machine. I know 2nd gen Dodge rams very well but don't know a lot about Dodge cars. What do I need to be aware of, such as red flags, service intervals, upgrades etc? After purchase, my current plan is the usual; change the transmission oil, rear differential oil, and inspect the brakes. I have no idea about timing chain life or anything else. The only thing this car doesn't have that I was hoping for is the Adaptive Cruise Control and the external driver dimming mirror. Can these be upgraded?

If I can't get this car, any advice on what to look for, such as packages or options you deem a must have (and why) would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post! Thank you!!

Old 01-17-2023, 12:25 PM
1RamRunner
Rookie

Can't help much than saying Adaptive Cruise Control is not available on an M6 Challenger as for as I know. Not sure it could be added either.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:36 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

It isn't. The PCM can't exert enough control over the powertrain. I don't think you can add it to the manual trans PCM either. Just check out maintenance records, any carfax/accident red flags. Look it over thoroughly, usually you can tell when something structural has been replaced; color differences, age differences, aftermarket vs factory replacement panels/parts, etc. The dimming mirror you can probably add. Just keep in mind that no stock 5.7 car is really a fast vehicle. Quick and fun to drive yes, but not fast (unless this actually a Scat Pack R/T).

Old 01-17-2023, 04:12 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by Magnoom
It isn't. The PCM can't exert enough control over the powertrain. I don't think you can add it to the manual trans PCM either. Just check out maintenance records, any carfax/accident red flags. Look it over thoroughly, usually you can tell when something structural has been replaced; color differences, age differences, aftermarket vs factory replacement panels/parts, etc. The dimming mirror you can probably add. Just keep in mind that no stock 5.7 car is really a fast vehicle. Quick and fun to drive yes, but not fast (unless this actually a Scat Pack R/T).
Oh yes, I know the R/T isn't FAST, but it's got to be faster (and cooler) than the Jetta I've about burned out!!! I really can't justify the extra cost of the Scat Pack, as much as I'd love it. The adaptive cruise I can live without, just drive with your thumbs like normal on the interstate. Thank you all so far! Any other thoughts?

Old 01-18-2023, 08:21 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Run the VIN for the build sheet: Equipment Listing see what it has. Also run the VIN to see if there are any outstanding recalls. This is the vintage where you should be past the lifter problem. If you'd like a window sticker, the car should be new enough: Infotainment | Vin Decoder

Old 01-21-2023, 09:06 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

"lifter problem"= MDS issues the hemi's had. Not saying you will have it but it's been a known problem. Did they ever resolve this issue?

Old 01-23-2023, 10:56 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Moparite
"lifter problem"= MDS issues the hemi's had. Not saying you will have it but it's been a known problem. Did they ever resolve this issue?
No it is not. MDS had nothing to do with it. From about 2011 to 2014 Mopar cheaped out on the rollers and they weren't up to the task. Don't drink the Kool-Aid; if it was MDS it would ALWAYS be cylinders 1, 4, 6 & 7 failing plus by that logic it would never happen in non-MDS (some trucks and manual trans cars) vehicles and they got it too.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:02 PM
LodgeForum

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Run the VIN for the build sheet: Equipment Listing see what it has. Also run the VIN to see if there are any outstanding recalls. This is the vintage where you should be past the lifter problem. If you'd like a window sticker, the car should be new enough: Infotainment | Vin Decoder

Thank you so much for this, I wish I knew this a few months ago.

Quick Reply: Shopping for a Challenger, what should I know?