Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

Challenger to be built!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 04:18 AM
OG MagDak
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Challenger to be built!

i wonder if they are considering the 6.1 only because if they offer the smaller and more affordable engines (5.7 and 3.5) they might not be able to build enough vehicles. i'm assuming it would be built in the same plant as the 300's chargers, and magnums and since they are already selling so many of those they might just not have the capacity. if this is the case they need to fix that problem SOON because they will be missing out on a ton of sales if they only offer it as the 6.1 version. they would probably double their total challenger sales if they offered a v6 and the 5.7 along with the srt 6.1. i really hope dodge doesnt screw this up. i am very affraid that they will, they seem to have a history of awkward marketing decisions. like the prowler that looked like a very exclusive vehicle (and was) only came with the v6?! now the challenger that looks like a regular everyday type of car is only going to have a high performance v8? kinda backwards to me

Old 02-12-2006, 12:28 PM
SRT MAGNUM
Professional

Ha Ha...can you imagine if they just take a Charger, make it a 2 door and just call that the new CHallenger and scrap the concept design.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:35 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SRT MAGNUM

Ha Ha...can you imagine if they just take a Charger, make it a 2 door and just call that the new CHallenger and scrap the concept design.

Please, let's not go there!

Old 02-12-2006, 03:51 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

Again, I think it is a timing issue. They go w/ the "concept" version, then build towards the 5.7 and V6 version. I also don't think it is by accident that the 6.1, 6spd combo will play exactly up against the soon to hit the showroom Shelby GT500, which also is only the supercharged and 6 speed. Though, i suspect the Challenger will be cheaper, so that would be a heck of a launch to undercut the Shelby sales.

Also, anyone check out the Chicago autshow shots on Dodge.com. w/ the Flickr show. Pretty cool and the first shots I've seen of the underside of the hood. You can see how the functional hood scoops flow to the radiator mounted air intake filter...Cool! Hope that part does not bite the dust on the way to production.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Canecreekfreak

Sweet. Built it, and we will buy... build it, and we will buy...

Old 02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
shiltz
Captain

6.1 manual only, why is it that dodge seems to go out of their way to try and do something to make every coupe they offer fail, either they cost to much for most people (viper), are way to low on performance even in the top trim (avenger/stratus) and now offer it on in what would be the top SRT trim level and manual only, the SRT trim levels being the lowest sales wise to other trim levels and manuals being lower sales than auto's, if they are going to do it they need to do it right, SXT 3.5, R/T 5.7, SRT 6.1, all with avaliable auto and manual, sell it as a real production car, not a limited production novelty/specialty car.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:26 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unfortunately, if this is the case, offering only a limited run of 6.1L M6 challengers, allows them to charge as much, if not more than, the current SRT8 models, and if that is the case, it is basically dodges way of saying "if you cant afford it, we dont care what you want"

they are trying FAR too hard to become mercedes performance division...and they need to stop being so full of themselves..it is still dodge. but they are seemingly to gradually bump the prices higher and higher, making it gradually more impossible for the everyday gearhead to afford a performance car from dodge. [:@]

Old 02-13-2006, 10:51 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

I hate to say it, But is the price is even above the SRT-8. I think the more people would go with a Vette. IMO.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:02 AM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran

I didn't know until I read this Dodge will actually build the car. When I first saw the car, rumor was if it was to be launched, they would put the 5.7 in the newer rams. But glad to see more power gettin' put in there. My dad owned one when they first came out and he said it was near his favorite of all time. But I was assumin' that since Dodge launched the charger into the new old muscle car craze, they wouldn't be puttin' another out. I mean Chevy has the camaro lookin' to come and Ford has their mustang. Who knows what's next. Maybe we'll see 50 styled pickups for 2010.

-BigRig

Old 02-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Canecreekfreak

Where's the talk about the Challenger being in Corvette pricing territory? I would have to assume that they're going to build this car to compete with the Mustang and upcoming Camaro, so it'd have to be priced similarly. The Mustang GT base is around $25k, right? So they're going to have to keep the price around there. I think they'll do that with the 350HP Hemi. Now I'm sure the 425HP will be more, but I can't see it being too much more than $32k-34k. Corvette's are going for $55k or so, right? That's a rather large difference.

Quick Reply: Challenger to be built!