Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

Challenger Price.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:09 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Challenger Price.

Thank you, I have most of the U.S. manufacturers engine info statics memorized. Honestly, I'm confused about that as well. If I knew I would tell you. I think that in some cases that the manufactures adjust the gearing for the heavier vehicles that hurts the fuel mileage. Also, remember that this is the EPA ratings. EPA ratings are often inaccurate. Some times the optional engine will get better fuel mileage despite the EPA ratings due to being underpowered. This is my best guess. I'm sort of blowing holes into my own argument, but I must make that point as well.

I think the EPA ratings for the 6.1L are too conservative. I have read reviews where the 6.1L SRT Chargers and 300Cs gets better fuel mileage than GM's DOD 5.3L offered in the lighter Impala or Grand Prix in real life driving despite the fact that the it not only gets 8 mpg better on the highway than the 6.1L and 3 better on the highway than the MDS 5.7L. I think that people might put a little too much weight in the theory of weight hurting fuel mileage. It does play a role, but I don't know how much really.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the charger srt8 comes with a manual tranny...

Old 09-13-2006, 08:20 PM
srtommy
Veteran

I would believe that the Challenger will start in the mid 20K's and stop in the $50K range. Remember it will be built in it's own plant and probably won't share a plant with another platform, at least right away. That costs more money. But the car isn't due to arrive in about 18 months so speculation is what we have to go on.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:21 PM
srtommy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Johndcjr1989

?????????????

Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

sorry i put that because i could have sworn that 913.5 intrepid put in his post that the challenger srt8 will have better gas mileage because it comes with a manual and the other srt 8s dont and i was just pointing out that the charger srt8 and all srt 8s im pretty sure come with a manual tranny but i just went back and couldnt find it. either he edited it out or i was imagining things.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

well i went to dodges site and looked and the other srt8s come with an auto tranny now. i remember they used to only be offered with a six speed manual because i wanted one badly but couldnt drive a standard so i was going to make it a point to learn so that when i could afford one i wouldnt mess up the tranny.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:32 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Johndcjr1989

No, the Charger SRT-8 does NOT have a manual tranny, nor has it ever. It has the autostick which allows you to tap the shifter to the right and to the left depending on whether you want to upshift or downshift.

The only SRTs that have ever had a manual are the Neon SRT-4, Viper SRT-10, and Ram SRT-10 regular cab so far but I believe that the Challenger will be different.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

hmm guess i misread or mixed up something. sorry. i do like the slap shift things like your talking about tho. my grandpas lincoln has one and its awesome. he can put it in drive and once its in drive move it to teh left and theres a + sign and a -sign and you tap which direction you want to shift.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Yep, that is pretty much what the Charger has. Many people make that mistake, don't worry about it .

Old 09-16-2006, 11:53 PM
08ChallengerDad

"What I have been told is that the challenger srt8 will only come in a 6.1 hemi with a 6spd manual. The great news is that we were told that the base price would be $37,420, there will also be 3 srt option groups just like the charger. I am in Fort Wayne, IN fwi. Also, there will be no 3.5L v6 right away, just a 5.7L and 6.1 in the srt. Plans are according to our district manger is to release a base level with a 4.0 (same motor as nitro) in 2-3 years to increase volume.

wow, so your saying the base SRT price will be 37k? I can definatly live with that. I hope I didnt mistake your post and the 5.7 base price will be that much...

no the 5.7 (trim level designation still being decided) base price 29,970. now this information was uncharacteristically given to us way in advance in preparation for pricing and ordering, so don't be surprised if more surprises are on the way. AllPar says the new hemi crate will not be offered the first year, I think based on whispers it will be late availability.

.....i would be very pleased with 37 grand...would that be retail, or dealer cost? im hoping retail...as we have a connection of sorts to get around the markup...
i find it odd that a district rep would be loose lipped about anything...when i worked for dodge, i was constantly bugging our reps about things, and they never gave away any info...and i was an accountant for several dealerships.

[color=#000066]very sure about the 6.1 being the srt. 37 would be retail. btw we have a very good relationship with chyrsler, and this gentlemen is almost always 100 percent correct.[/color]"

This was from another Forum, and the guy who offered this info stated that he was a Dodge salesman and was only sharing what rhumors/info he had heard through the DCX corporate grapevine.
Other forum members were reluctant to blindly accept the reliability/accuracy of his info and sources, to which it seems he took offense and has not posted since.
While I don't know the guy and can't verify or disprove his claims, what he claimed makes sense to me and the numbers aren't far from a lot of the speculation I've read so far.
Take it for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: Challenger Price.