Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

Challenger Price

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challenger Price

Hey Guys we all need to not let chrysler make the same mistake that Pontiac did with the GTO! They cannot screw this up, neither we nore they can affored an overweight and over priced Pony Car.

Lets face this car will be up agenst the freaking Mustang, and the Camarro, so that being said those two cars are going to be very competively priced regardless of what the challenger comes off as a base price unless it is even with these two we are going to see a 3 yr production run and no one is going to freaking buy them, then on top of that the only good news for us is maybe if we wait 2 years after they come out and no one is buying them we can get them cheap like you can a GTO, and you all know they are going to screw the whole thing up by throwing in a freaking AUTO/Stick in the R/T and the SRT-8 we cant let them do this guys

Old 11-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Dartman69
Veteran
Default RE: Challenger Price

I personally would prefer to see these cars made in a limited run. Mustangs and Camaros are like an ***- everybody has one. Challengers have been and should always be a rare and special car. If they start making these cars with a V6 and selling them at the same price as a similarily equipped Mustang, we will be seeing them everywhere. It will be the new car of choice for ditzy, blonde, trophy-wives to drive to the tanning salon. I beg Chrysler to NOT make the same mistake FORD has and turn the Challenger into a dime-a-dozen commuter car ala Cavalier.

If the masses want an affordable, mass-produced, dodge-built coupe, they should wait for the Avenger Coupe to appear. Sure, the original Challengers could be had with a plethora of economy engines, but does a slant-six grocery-getter come to anyone's mind when they remember the Challengers of yore?

Of course not! They remember the brawny, bad-***, V8 monster that dominated over all other muscle cars of that time.

Pleeeeease, let's keep the Challenger a car to be lusted after, not one to fade away into a crowd.

P.S. The GTO failed because it looked like a Grand Prix, not because it was overpriced. It was never meant to be a direct competitor to the Mustang. The GTO has always been more of a luxury-oriented Muscle Car whereas the Mustang has typical been the "workin' man's" sports car.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:45 AM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

Well if thats how you feel, then that sucks cause not every one can afford a 35-40k car just because some people want to be pompass jerks about the Challenger and they will take their money to Ford and Chevrolet Dealers, and you have to think from a business stand point, Dodge has their coupe, the freaking viper let it be, when you get too close to the Vett in price people are going to skip over the Challenger and buy a vett. im not talking about mopar fans im talking about joe i want something fast. if dodge wants to compeat with the Camarro with the avenger coupe they can kiss my *** and my money goodbye cause i will buy a real muscle car even if it means buying a blue oval or a stupid *** chevrolet

Old 11-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Dartman69
Veteran

I'm certain many people will still buy a Challenger over a Corvette if only the R/T and SRT-8 flavours are available. The Challenger R/T with the 6.1L Hemi alone has projected track times that are virtually identical to the LS2 Corvette...with room for 4 people and their luggage!

While we're comparing Corvettes and Challengers, I'd like to point out that the 'vette only comes in two flavours- fast and very fast. There's no such thing as a watered down, affordable for the masses, 6 cylinder (not since the '50s anyway) Corvette. This formula appears to be working great for the Corvette (it's the most bought sports car according to GM), so why can't it work just as well for the Challenger?

North America doesn't need anymore poser sports cars (ala V6 Mustang, Acura RSX, Mitsubishi Eclipse, etc), so why should the Challenger add itself to the list?

P.S. I'm sure an Avenger SRT-4 would have no trouble mopping the deck with a new Camaro.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:09 PM
shiltz
Captain

North America doesn't need anymore poser sports cars (ala V6 Mustang, Acura RSX, Mitsubishi Eclipse, etc), so why should the Challenger add itself to the list?
Why? because the Chrysler division's profits aren't profits, they are losses, and lets face it, a $21k V6 Challenger will make Chrysler probably 10 fold what the R/T & SRT-8 combined will, actualy probably even more so since they are pricing the R/T right out of the target market, $31k+ for an R/T, it needs to be a good $5k less than that to be competative, a low volume limited edition overpriced car may help dealers make money with the $10k markup they car could very well end up with, but it will do nothing for the divison.

Quite honestly I see the Challenger being a flop relative to the Mustang, it's simply way to much money, which is a shame because it's such a nice looking car.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Dartman69
Veteran

*shrugs*

I guess we're all just going to have to wait and see what happens. Even with a V6, I doubt the Challenger would be in the same price bracket as the Mustang considering it's superior LX/LY chassis.

Has anyone ever done a poll as to how people would option out their Challenger if they were to purchase one?

Old 11-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Dartman69
Veteran

Here's a link to a poll regarding powertrain optioning: http://www.dodgechallenger.com/forum...ults.asp?id=63

It's hard to say how biased these results are, but barely any of the people who took the pole wanted a V6 Challenger.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:09 PM
shiltz
Captain

Unfortunatly polls like that generaly are biased as anyone who would be visiting a forum like that typical are the enthusists which in terms of sales actualy produces a very small percentage of buyers, that any most people are going to say what they want, not what they will actualy buy, i'd love a 6.1L with a 5 speed autostick, but if I bought one I would end up with the 5.7L as I can't afford the additional price of the SRT-8 plus the higher fuel costs. Historicaly speaking it's always been that way as well, the models with the top engines are always the rarest as there wasn't nearly as many of them made and sold.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Hog54
Rookie

I have a funny feeling your only going to see bald middle aged guys driving challengers just like you see driving vettes.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:27 PM
shiltz
Captain

Well I don't know about that, I will admit though you will probably see a lot of older men with them who had the original Challenger when they were younger, but you will definatly have lots of other people who don't fit into that catagory as well who will buy it. Actualy that's where the V6 is really needed too, lots of younger women tend to get sporty cars like the Challenger and Mustang but with the V6, I know finances allowing I'll eventualy get one though probably not till a few years into production, not right at release like I did with my Magnum, I personly would opt for the 5.7 though not the V6, but the V6 is still needed for sales.

Quick Reply: Challenger Price