Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

May be getting a charger srt-8

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: May be getting a charger srt-8

I am not afraid to slap the **** out of him if something goes wrong because of him, lol. I just dont think it is fair to purchase him a POS vehicale and hope for the best. I have the ability to purchase a nice car for me and want to. I really need it because I park in parking garages often and my mega cab doesnt like them. He will get to drive it those days. I want him to use something that will not break down on the way to school and him have to worry about adding coolant. He is a lawyer in the teen court in our community and knows what the consiquences are for being an ***. At 15 I allow him to take my truck to and from a friends house. I watch the milage and know that is isnt joy riding. He has gained my trust and want to reward him for that.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:27 AM
mnboy
Captain

Squirtbottle,
You sound like a proud father and Dad. I understand this. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand this. I, too, can go on and on about how "good" and "careful" my boys are: TKD, Scouting, alter boys,B honor rolls, sports honors, National Honor Society, etc,etc. But I sold my 440 Fury before my oldest turned 16. He did learn with it (with me in it), but no matter what, boys will be boys (remember?) so I sold it before he got a chance to take it out on his own. I have three sons and went through this with them all. Although I had my 440 GTX then, they were not allowed to drive it by themselves. I bought them a Ford Probe to start with and after having it repaired several times from curbcutting,fender bumps, anda few speeding tickets, I heard from each and every one of them: they all tried the top end of it at sometime or another and did a bit of showing off.After three boys had gone through it, I sold it for $25 to afella,but it did what it was supposed to do:startedindependenceand driving confidence.
Do what you will. I'm sure we can banter about this until the cows come home.We don't even know your son, but he sounds like a fine boy. But doME a favor: never allow him to drive that SRT8 alone.
Not now, not yet.
Good luck.

MN

Old 07-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Stroker
Veteran

I actually think you have the right idea now that I hear a little more about you. You want the SRT-8 for you and on occasion will let him drive it. It would be nice if you could get a governer for it to start out or not let him drive it alone for a year or two because Mnboy has a valid point about testing the top speed. Any one know if any of the programmers have tattle tales? Hell I might even let him drive with you in it and if the road and weather are clear let him have a shot at a blast under those controled conditions to get it out of his system. Yes doing this will probably incourage him to do it later but will teach him the safest way to do it since chances are he will try regardless.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Why is everyone such a party pooper? I say I may be getting a charger, and all I hear is complaints. I know what my sons limitations are and so does he. I feel he can handle a srt-8 and he can. I really appreciate yalls opinions and yalls care for his safety, but in the end I am not going to punish him and not allow him to drive the charger for something other people did, or something he might do. If that was the case no body would ever get to do anything. Trust is a major thing in any relationship, and if it isnt there than what is the point.

Now, what are yalls views on the srt-8's? How do they run, gas milage, ect.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

You asked a very subjective question and got responses; we respect your decision but don’t have to agree with it. Don’t mix-up concerns with complaints, we all wish you and your boy well.

See the SRT8 section for intimate views about them... link =>
https://dodgeforum.com/forumid_116/tt.htm

Old 07-06-2007, 08:12 AM
mnboy
Captain

Squirbottle,
You posted here for comments and opinions. You got them. They are not "complaints"but concerns. You and he "feel" he can handle the SRT8; you're not going to "punish him" by him not driving the SRT8; and stats mean nothing. Trust has nothing to do with his driving skills...nothing. I trusted my boys not todo "anything bad" until they wereadults -- I'm hear to tell you, it ain't going to happen. They all tried tobe Mario Andrettibefore 16, not waiting. So get a reality grip my friend. Handing the keysto one ofthe fastest cars on the planet certainly is trusting: but it's foolish on your part. Now my first intuition was correct: you're being his "buddy" not his Dad. Dad's are not supposed to be in a popularity contest: they are supposed to be Dad's:always thinkingof the big picture: we do this from our expierences and learning from other's misfortunes. No, I see you want to be his buddy.

People actually make their own luck. Handing SRT8 keys to a young teenager isn't helping your luck, it's just making you feel good -- I just hope it's not at your son's expense.

You can find stats and views mostly at the SRT8 area.

MN

Old 07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
avengergal1

I have to agree with the concerns expressed here by everyone. While it is cool that you want to "give in" to his wishes and get him an SRT, it might not be the best for him. He needs to learn to handle power through "baby steps" and not go for the whole enchilada. My suggestion, and I'm sure a lot of people will agree, is to get him a basic charger. Let him get used to the power and feel of the vehicle. Then, as time goes by, you can either trade up or mod the heck out of it to give him that power. When babies are born, they just don't take off running. They take small baby steps and before you know it, they are all over the place. Give him a baby step! He will appreciate you for looking out for his best interests by getting him a cool car and respect you for keeping safety as a top priority!

Old 07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Stroker
Veteran

I've driven an R/T and been in the passenger seat of an SRT-8, From that point of veiw I saw no real differance. My opinion to get the R/T and slowly mod it as he takes baby steps will result in a much better vehicle then the SRT-8 in stock form. You can upgrade the suspension to be better then the SRT-8 and then do some exhaust, intake, chip and maybe some heads and cam and you will come out spending less than sticker for an SRT-8 and have a much better car, plus I think you can do all that and still have the MSD to help your fuel milage. If you are planning to mod the SRT-8 you would still be better to start with a R/T (or even a v6?) and just do an engine swap to get something far better then the 6.1.

This is all regardless of if it is for you or your son. The SRT-8 and the 6.1 are both VERY over rated. An R/T can be made to be a much better rounded car then an SRT-8. As for trusting your son this is the type of situation where you should trust the majority. NO 16 year old has business in something that powerfull by themselves unless they build it or pay for it. Yes he can go to his friends house and the milage is good when he gets back butI promise he knows your checking his milage. What happens when you give him the keys and he is just going out cruising where you can't check the milage? It sounds like compaired to others he might be more responsible but it only takes one WOT blast to kill him. And if he has no experiance driving much less driving 425HP he very well might loose it. If you don't realize how quick that kind of power can get away from you I question if you can handle it.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:09 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

It is not going to be his car. It is my car that he is going to drive sometimes. I want to get the charger for me. Everyone forget that my son is going to drive it, and tell me about it. My brother got an r/t and said he wish he would have gotten the srt. So, I would like one, therefor I am thinking of getting one.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:15 PM
TopBanana2953

squirtbottle09,

In my humble opinion with the gas guzzler tax on the SRT8 I would look into the Daytona's. I think you get more bang for the buck if you are looking for more then just performance.BTW if you do get the SRT8, keep in mind that the insurance won't be cheap, especially with a new driver, like your son.

Quick Reply: May be getting a charger srt-8