Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,343 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Hear a click when you step on the brake? There is an interlock between the brake, and the shifter.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:59 PM
Kimberly Duncan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No I don't hear a click

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hear a click when you step on the brake? There is an interlock between the brake, and the shifter.
No I don't hear a click, I took the cover off below the steering column and the is a little silver pin looking thing if I start the car and then hold that pin pushed in it goes into gear

Old 10-26-2019, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

So, something in the system isn't working...... Either the solenoid, the wiring for it, or the brake switch. Need wiring diagrams to see what's what, and figure out what to test.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:47 PM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the car starts and you're unable to take it out of park, It is probably the safety lock. Under the chrome/ rubber/ plastic piece around the shift **** you should find a manual release button! Good luck.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:07 AM
Williams091016
Default Same

Originally Posted by David Burris

Hoping someone here can help me. I’ve already replaced the pink thingie. (Shift interlock). I’m trying to figure out what that cable in the left (drivers side is called). Pretty sure that’s my problem now.
I'm having the sane issue with my 2007 disge charger. I replaced the interlock switch and it's still randomly sticking in park. Did you ever get answers?

Old 06-28-2021, 04:28 PM
damobcah

Hi ~
This happened to me. All the dealer does is replace the flimsy broken plastic piece with another flimsy plastic piece for a couple of hundred. A$$es!

First, take of the gear box and spot the wire leading to the brake. Push the wire to the right with a screwdriver or whatever and then press the brake and you should be able to get the car out of park. You will have to do this every time until you fix it. I found that somewhere online.

Now, the fix. My boyfriend at the time was somewhat of a mechanical genius. He took the plastic piece out and connected a fishing weight to the spring in its place. Running the spring to the end to connect with another piece of the car at the bottom of where the plastic piece was.

He said "It's science. It's magnetic and will never give out." That was 10 years ago and I still drive my boy (Charger) every day like I have since 2007 (he's a 2006!) Yeah, I'm a girl so my car is a boy.

If you need a picture, I could take off the gear box and try to take a good shot of the most brilliant fix I have seen. Fishing weights cost how much? ...... LOL on the dealers and shame on them.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by damobcah
Hi ~
This happened to me. All the dealer does is replace the flimsy broken plastic piece with another flimsy plastic piece for a couple of hundred. A$$es!

First, take of the gear box and spot the wire leading to the brake. Push the wire to the right with a screwdriver or whatever and then press the brake and you should be able to get the car out of park. You will have to do this every time until you fix it. I found that somewhere online.

Now, the fix. My boyfriend at the time was somewhat of a mechanical genius. He took the plastic piece out and connected a fishing weight to the spring in its place. Running the spring to the end to connect with another piece of the car at the bottom of where the plastic piece was.

He said "It's science. It's magnetic and will never give out." That was 10 years ago and I still drive my boy (Charger) every day like I have since 2007 (he's a 2006!) Yeah, I'm a girl so my car is a boy.

If you need a picture, I could take off the gear box and try to take a good shot of the most brilliant fix I have seen. Fishing weights cost how much? ...... LOL on the dealers and shame on them.
A pic would be great.

Old 03-12-2023, 12:01 PM
crazyjr
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys first post, registered because of this issue, except mins so far (only read first page) seems a little different.

I bought my 2006 dodge magnum December 30th, 2022 with 202k miles, surprisingly everything works except the cig lighter, even the 6 disk in dash changer. Well just this week I've had this experience twice, yes twice and that is the difference, you see both times it did this after a minute or two (sometimes fiddling with things or simply stopping and starting it has started working. Looking for possible causes and fixes i found your issue but i think mine is a little different, I think the solenoid itself or possibly the brake switch is the cause

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it? Hoping someone has hate digging in half cocked and not know what I'm doing
Thank you for any help

The following users liked this post:
DymosDodge (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 08:04 PM
DymosDodge
Default Dodge Magnum Shifter Issue Won't Shift Out Of Park

This was my issue. I have 2006 Dodge Magnum Hemi R/T AWD 236K. Not sure if this will help you. Had to have mine towed years ago and the dealership replaced the park.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:05 PM
DymosDodge

This was my issue. I have 2006 Dodge Magnum Hemi R/T AWD 236K. Not sure if this will help you. Had to have mine towed years ago and the dealership replaced the park.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park