Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:13 PM
charger50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear shift stuck

I have a 2007 dodge charger there was a recall for this problem - it happened to me and I had it towed in - they fixed it in an hour for FREE

Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by charger50
I have a 2007 dodge charger there was a recall for this problem - it happened to me and I had it towed in - they fixed it in an hour for FREE
charger50,

I'm happy to hear you were able to get down to your Dodge dealer and have the recall completed quickly so you could get back on the road!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:38 PM
crazymonk2012
Default Got mine to work

Okay I had this problem with my car and it pulled a code u0103. I tried a trick by disconnecting the battery. Going to the car to start it make sure the juice is all gone. I reconnected the battery and it let me shift it out of park again. I was told it is a communication error with the Gear Shift Module.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM
PhilMagnum
Default Incredibly Annoying

I have a 2007 Magnum STX that became stuck in park this evening...right before the 4th of July four day weekend.

So damn annoying and inconvenient!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilMagnum
I have a 2007 Magnum STX that became stuck in park this evening...right before the 4th of July four day weekend.

So damn annoying and inconvenient!

Take the shifter bezel off. It's held on by 2 screws up under the rubber rectangle cover on the ashtray end of the bezel. After you get the bezel off, feel and look under the left front of the shifter and you'll see a skinny interlock cable (not the shift cable on the right side).

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE PRNDL PIECE Just the bezel on the console

That interlock cable attaches the the PINK lever. PUSH the PINK lever back horizontal while holding your foot on the brake, then move the shifter. You can operate your car like this until you get it fixed. At least you won't need a tow anyway.

There are metal replacement levers that you can install and it will never happen again. The Chrysler one is still plastic...better, but still plastic.

(I need to make a video of this)

Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM
PhilMagnum

Thanks TNtech.

I inadvertently discovered that while messing around with the shifter with the console plate off. You should make a video that shows the whole process of fixing this problem because it seems like Dodge put this cheapass plastic part in there as a way to make money several years after the initial sale.

I talked with Dodge customer service and they said that they're "looking at the issue" but that there isn't a recall for my car. If this is a problem with multiple models over multiple years, it's an obvious design or material failure which should be fixed at no charge including towing at a dealer.

My car only has 63k miles and already I've had to rebuild the front end because it would violently shake, now this. So frustrating.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilMagnum
Thanks TNtech.

I inadvertently discovered that while messing around with the shifter with the console plate off. You should make a video that shows the whole process of fixing this problem because it seems like Dodge put this cheapass plastic part in there as a way to make money several years after the initial sale.

I talked with Dodge customer service and they said that they're "looking at the issue" but that there isn't a recall for my car. If this is a problem with multiple models over multiple years, it's an obvious design or material failure which should be fixed at no charge including towing at a dealer.

My car only has 63k miles and already I've had to rebuild the front end because it would violently shake, now this. So frustrating.

Being that there is a totally different entity with ownership of what was once Chrysler Corp, anything they goodwill outside of warranty pre-2009 is hit or miss.

Here's your link to repair part page and a video.

http://www.custombilletstore.com/Gen...ent_p/1028.htm

Old 07-05-2014, 12:31 PM
PhilMagnum

Thanks.

I found a couple more videos that are helpful.

In this one, the guy repairs the broken part with a pin:

This video clearly shows how to replace the part with a new one:

I find it interesting that the weak spring clip has been reinforced in the replacement part. Obviously, Dodge recognizes that there's a problem but has decided that standing behind the faulty design isn't a priority and that it's up to vehicle owners to pay the repair bill when their cars become disabled.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:42 PM
PhilMagnum

After viewing both of the videos, I was able to extract the shift module and then replace the broken part. Because I had borrowed a car and needed mine badly, I was forced to get the replacement part from the dealer. It was $9 and the parts guy was very familiar with the problem which tells me that this happens frequently. I got everything put back together (whew!) and everything works. What a pain in the *** but I'm thankful the information to fix this issue is out there.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Snowcat14
Default 2007 Charger won't shift out of park

Tried pressing the reset button in the console like another post suggested and it didn't work. Had my car towed to mechanic this morning. Called Dodge Customer Care and they told me this part was a recall for some vehicles. Of course, not mine. I requested financial assistance to pay the bill once the plastic shift lever is repaired. They told me NO. In part due to the facts that I am the second vehicle owner, the car's warranty expired in 2010, and it has 70,000 miles on it. Very frustrating those things shouldn't matter. I can post later what the cost turns out to be. Since I have AAA the tow was covered at least.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park