Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Chargerless

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:40 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man!!! What a bummer!!

I can imagine that it is like someone hitting the family dog.

I've also heard of people buying back their totaled cars and getting them repaired.

A car can be totaled just because of the KBB or NADA resale value, not because it is unrepairable. Looking at the pictures, I would say that this is the situation.

A lot of good body shops are willing to work with you in these situations. Most of these shops are run by car guys and appreciate the attachment to a car like yours. If you are willing to kick in a some extra bucks to cover the difference between the insurance check and the cost of repair, you may be able to get #389 back rolling again for nominal out of pocket cost. Since they are not dealing with the insurance company at this point, they usually willing to discount parts and labor to help you out. They could do the specialty stuff like platform straightening and maybe you could do small stuff to help offset the cost.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:46 AM
wake
Captain

Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
A lot of good body shops are willing to work with you in these situations. Most of these shops are run by car guys and appreciate the attachment to a car like yours. If you are willing to kick in a some extra bucks to cover the difference between the insurance check and the cost of repair, you may be able to get #389 back rolling again for nominal out of pocket cost. Since they are not dealing with the insurance company at this point, they usually willing to discount parts and labor to help you out. They could do the specialty stuff like platform straightening and maybe you could do small stuff to help offset the cost.
hes on to something here..might be an idea..to buy it back..take the check..and go to the body shop and see about having them fix the **** you cant..then fix the rest of it when you can at your own pace

just make sure you dont give the body shop the check..figure out a place to cash it..otherwise you can get really screwed

now im no expert, nor can i be 100% sure just by looking a cell picture..but i would say that she can be fixed..maybe even if its just enough to get it driveable again then fix the other **** like lining up the fenders, and **** later

thats to nice of a car to let go that easily IMO

Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional

The "Trucks" show on the Spike TV channel did this with a relatively recent Silverado and the repair actually came out cheaper than what the insurance company totaled the truck for! A lot depends on how much you can do yourself.

Keep in mind that the insurance companies base their decision on the average price that they could sell the car for today. It's all about the money. If you can show them a comparably equipped car that recently sold for more than their offer, you could negotiate the "totaled" amount up. Since you were planning on keeping the car, a replacement vehicle might be more expensive in the long term - even if you have to buy a cheap beater to get around in while your car is being repaired. (You can always sell the beater after to recover some of that cost or give it to your (grand)kid to learn to drive on). It's a matter of whether you want to go through the hassle with the insurance company or not.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 PM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

That sux Randall glad to see no one got hurt...Looks like you can yank that cam out and sell it if you dont get another 5.7
Originally Posted by MangoInTX
GoManGo #389 was involved in a wreck today. Looks totaled to me but I'm no expert.

I was leaving work today and a Civic ran the light doing at least 50, I T-boned the Civic, luckly nobody was hurt.